Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:38 pm 

Went out and took some attempts at high key photos. I looked at the histogram and it looks ok. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to post the histogram. So here is my favourite shot, but is it high key?

Any help would be great!

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:57 am 
Forget the histogram, just take a photo with highlights (white) dominating the image. I'd say that shot passes, now incorporate an interesting subject into the idea.

I have some ideas of my own but they'll have to wait till I'm done with school work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:53 am 

Thank you James. I am going skiing next weekend so I might try out some snowy ladscapes as long as I can get a camera bag that fits my laptop in for the flight. I was thinking a lowepro fastpack 350. I should be able to get some good photos in the 10 days I am there.

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:15 pm 

Under "normal" circumstances, I would have shot this on AP with ISO set at 100 or 200 max, but with all the dogs running about, I had to do this quickly lest they tip over the tripods or create some other unforgivable offense. ( I do animal rescue.) So in my rush to get the shot I shot it on Auto by mistake. Also focusing was a problem since I had no assist, so I focused on the background, which turned out pretty good as it softenend the face..but you wouldn't want to do that typically. Also had natural light on my face. I used the flash toward my back so as not to have that tell-tale flash look. LIke I said though, especially with Sony that 800 ISO could create a lot of noise, and this photo does show evidence of that, therefore I used a softening filter in post processing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:27 pm 

@Lensbaby
It’s not bad; the small print in the centre with that blue logo on the bottom right, but I’ve seen it before. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:09 pm 

Strange, it shows up on my computer...so weird. . .but thanks for the heads up. Reposted so...let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:36 pm 

I can see it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:43 pm 

The photo didn't show up with your post earlier, so I had no idea what you meant..so just decided to think on it for awhile and see if anything came to mind. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:28 am 
I think that first photo of the wire is mint!!!
WESTCOAST 's photo of the status has my apartment in the background...very weird to see that pop up.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:28 pm 
hope this is not over done at this point but I would like help with the understanding of "true" high key photo. It is very important to remeber that it is not about simply overexposing your photo,or desaturating color, that wil leave a very flat photo not the intrention of high key. Because color is important in high key otherwise it is just a black and white. While the histogram should be pushed to the right it should be because your photo is here is the key properly exsposed, meaning if your light reading indicates for example a aperture setting of f 8 for the background then the foreground must have the same reading. Doing this outside , while not impossible, is very hard because of lack of control of lighting. Most high key photo's are produced using lighting effects, strobe or spedlights. But really not done by post processing most are SOOC. Hope this helps. This is one hard for most hoobist because of lighting control required

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:28 pm 

High Key tips and B & W

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/black ... oshop-4903

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:59 pm 

@Aaronalexa05

You are right.

I done loads of reading on High Key and it is way beyond my experience and setup and I did exactly what you have said not to do, i.e. over exposed my shot, but then I thought I quite like the picture so what the hell I posted it.

This is a seriously tough assignment.

It would be interesting if nobody was offended to have an "experts" opinion at the end of this assignment as to which ones are truly High Key? Because I really dont know what I am looking for on this one.....

Got me thinking though and I enjoyed photographing the flowers :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:02 pm 
al
actually your photo looks alot like high key because background has gone white and is pretty shadowless so i consider that a good photo.
Here is a very good link showing in easy to understand video how high key is acheived.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze7JzH_lKNI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:56 pm 

Thanks Aaronalexa05! That was an interesting video and clearly a setup I do not have at my disposal....

Last edited by AL on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:57 pm 
Al
Actually if you pull your table away from wall about 4 feet or so and put your flash on the ground and set to manual with about 1/4 power aim up at door zoom to about 70mm it would be effective. Also make sure if you have to use your pop flash that it is set to about 1/16 power and that your camera is about 3 feet from flower and zoom in tight that should start to work then just work with flash power to be sure not to get blown highlights on your flower. You can also incorporate some simple can lights with 150 watt bulbs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next