Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SageMax Protection Plan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:22 pm 
I'm not sure if this the correct place to post this but here goes:

I am new to the DSLR world and I am going to order a Canon 60D and 15-85mm lens from B&H. I notice they offer a 3 year protection plan on the lens for $83.00 and $127 for the camera. I was wondering if it was worth paying extra for the extended warranty and would it be more important on the camera or the lens? Would it be cheaper to just send it to Canon and get it repaired in the event of a failure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:32 pm 

Canon offer you a warranty which is one year I think. Then benefits of paying for a three year warranty are obviously the added two years but also when you send it to canon through the warranty company the process will be quicker as you have paid extra and are therefore a higher priority customer.

Hope this helps

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:20 pm 

Quote:
Would it be cheaper to just send it to Canon and get it repaired in the event of a failure?

Not necessarily, especially after the warranty Canon is required to supply in your country expires. The protection plan is essentially an insurance policy - you pay for it hoping you never have to claim on it. I can't imagine a repair coming cheap and if you're going to use the camera regularly, $200 for three years' peace of mind sounds like a wise choice, especially if the plan covers accidental damage.

From experience, I dropped an old bridge of mine and the lens was permanently stuck in one position - it would have cost more than half as much as the camera itself to repair the damage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:16 pm 
Thanks for the help. I have never bought an extended warranty on anything but if you carry around a $1600 dollar piece of equipment, you never know what might happen.

Here is some additional info on the plan:

Coverage and Benefits:
Accidental damage from handling covered for portable devices*
Failures caused by heat, dust, & humidity covered
Receive a check for full purchase price including sales tax if it can't be fixed.
No registration necessary
Free shipping to and from our service centers
Transferable at NO charge.

Service Plan: (products $200 and over):

What is Covered: This Plan covers parts and labor costs to repair your product in the event your product experiences a breakdown which is not concurrently covered under any other insurance policy or any other service contract. If we determine that we cannot service your product as specified in this Plan, we may replace it with a replacement product or we may at our discretion issue you a gift card or check for the original purchase price of that product, including taxes, as indicated on your sales receipt. Non-original manufacturer’s parts may be used for repair of the product if the manufacturer’s parts are unavailable or more costly.

Term of Coverage: The term of your plan commences upon your date of purchase and continues for the period indicated on your receipt. Coverage for ADH begins on the date you purchase your product; all other coverage begins upon expiration of the manufacturer’s warranty. The Plan is inclusive of the manufacturer’s warranty; it does not replace the manufacturer’s warranty, but provides certain additional benefits during the term of the manufacturer’s warranty. After the manufacturer’s warranty expires, the Plan continues to provide some of the manufacturer’s benefits as well as certain additional benefits listed within the Plan’s terms and conditions.

How it works: If your product experiences a breakdown, contact 866-231-9734 to process your claim. If in-home service is provided for the full term of your manufacturer’s warranty, then it will be provided under this Plan. If in-home service is not provided, unless otherwise noted, NEW will be responsible for delivery or the cost of delivery of the product to and from the service center for repair or replacement. At our sole discretion, we may require that you return the covered product to us as a condition to receiving a replacement product or reimbursement.

No Lemon Policy: After three (3) service repairs have been completed on an individual product, for the same defect, and that individual product requires a fourth (4) repair, as determined by us, we will replace it with a product of like kind and quality that performs to the factory specifications of the original product, not to exceed the original purchase price. Replacement products may be new or rebuilt to meet the manufacturer’s specifications of the original product at our discretion. Technological advances may result in a replacement product with a lower selling price than the original product. Repairs performed while the product is under the manufacturer’s warranty do not apply. Preventative maintenance checks, cleanings, product diagnosis and customer education are not considered repairs for the purposes of the No Lemon Policy.

Post subject: 60d warranty
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:45 pm 
I just bought a 60d and was wondering if this warranty is the way to go or is the squaretrade the one to go with
/