Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:44 pm 
I've had anti-virus software before, I actually had the one you install. However, nothing ever came up, plus I hated being in my taskbar. It just reminded me that it was taking up space on my RAM and reminded of windows days. I gave it a couple of months and uninstalled it, I felt I didn't need it. And truthfully I'm pretty careful when browsing so I'm not worried about malware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:45 pm 

@christoff87. I have a macbook pro 13", which I love. I am about to be given a HP laptop for work to replace an old dell i have been using for 4 years. Better specifications than the macbook pro, minus graphics as no need for that for my job. half of the price of a similar spec mac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:48 pm 
Does your work get a business discount?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:00 pm 

Cleary they do, but I can still buy myslef a PC laptop for half the price with the same spec. It is in black and white on prices you and I both can find on the internet looking at computer stores.. I do love my mac laptop, my iMac and my partner's macbook air (Bob is right, they boot so fast it is incredible) plus I like the Mac OS. The only problem is price vs spec. I also love my windows 7 PC. It is a monstor of a machine for the price and the OS works well. With the dual SSD drives I really get my photo processing (sometimes more the 20 gigabytes per file) done in no time. I could not afford the same or even a spec close to what I have if I went for Mac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:03 pm 

Hi Chris,

Having, I think, silently conceded the point that malware can run on a Mac you have just put yourself in the position of never knowing you've been infected unless any such infection produces symptoms you can see.

But, for the sake of the argument and not knowing how you use your computer, let's agree that you will never get infected. That still leaves your statement that there is "no need for virus software, taking up processing power and memory" as totally irresponsible in the context of your post where you preface your list of pros and cons with "Here are some other OS related reasons why Mac is better than PC".

The casual reader will read your post and infer from it that Macs can't get infected. That's plain wrong and I'd urge you in the friendliest spirit as a fellow Mac user to at the very least rephrase your statement in your earlier post.

Bob.

P.S. Just to be clear, I'm not composing this with my Moderator hat on. This isn't an official request but just an exposition of my strongly held views. :)

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:46 pm 
Hi Bob,

Well I installed Sophos and did a full scan and just as I thought...nadda! No threats detected. THis was after maybe two years plus of usage without virus software. The point being the chances of getting malware on a mac is extremely low, almost next to nothing, if it is kept up to date. That page you linked to if you click on the Trojan.Jnanabot link and look at the tech specs, the only systems that are affected are windows systems. Even if that trojan is on a Mac system it wont do anything (as with most threats), it will just sit there in a file somewhere. So I will stick to my original point; there is at this current time no real need for anti-virus software on a Mac! Although nobody is immune to things like phishing or a web-based attacks, those mearly take some common sense to avoid.

DP-PARIS I think you're right Macs are a bit more expensive but I think you get more bang for your buck with a Mac then any other PC however cheaper it is. Macs are just so much more pleasant to use. That in itself is well worth the money spent. At least, when I come home I don't have to stress about a s***t computer.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:58 pm 
it's funny that most Mac users are compensating the spending-almost-double-for-the-same-perfomance effect with the "more pleasing to use than a PC"-explanation :) I used a Mac many times & they're really different...& the inner design looks great. But still...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:06 pm 
Thats because they are more pleasing. I'm not lying when I say when ever I use a Windows PC I want to punch it. I'd rather spend more money and have a computer which I can live with and one that will last me much longer. If you think of it that way, not much difference in price!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:45 pm 

@Christoff87 - you are a funny person. I have nothing more to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:23 pm 

@Christoff

I can hear another Mac fanboy ^^

probably you prefer simplicity or the user friendliness of a Mac

But you can still do more with Windows (A lot more). Probably depends on the user, some thinks windows is too advanced to use..

Well I like it advanced :)

As in Overclocking... you can do that on a PC
Well on a mac, its a naha for overclocking. (works to Undervolt though xD)

Apple Mac is quite limited (No bios, bah!)

I do like Mac OS X, but I hate the ancient hardware they use to it.

Well Im going to try Hackintosh someday, running Mac on a PC and see how that performs ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:36 pm 
Seriously? You quote BIOS and then say Macs use ancient hardware?? WOW!

BIOS is the ancient one not the Mac hardware. The reason why Macs use EFI: IT'S MODERN TECHNOLOGY!! Let me ask you how often do you change your PC? Oh wait, not everytime Intel release a new processor is it? :o Your hardware is ancient!!! Oh s**t!

Edit: I'm bored, I've had these "arguments" too many times before. So I'm done posting in this topic. But I will always say Macs are infinitely superior to windows in EVERY single way. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:24 pm 

@Bob - I caved in and bought a macbook air at the macstore in Opera today. That start time is just too hard to resist.....

Post subject: Mac vs PC
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:31 pm 
Hi all,

AS a user I have a PC desktop and a Macbook Pro laptop.

I am very use to thr PC operation systems and find Apple can be irrataing to me with what seems so odditys, just what im use to I'm sure.

Will say that in my view the Apple macbook pros are the best laptops out there. For ease of use. Not talking value, power or anythink else but simply ease of use. I love the large tractpad and having the whole pad as a clicker.

Anytime I use a friends laptop or even an old Macbook, I find myself saying whats wroing with this thing it does not work!

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:15 pm 
I just love the: 'PC has more viruses than a mac" argument..

It's because the people that actually know a lot about computers, usually end up buying a PC. I'm not saying ether one is better. But most of the time people spend more money on a mac than they do on a PC. Ofcourse it's going to run better than a PC. If you spend the same amount of money on a PC, you can propably assemble a PC that is faster than any mac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:41 pm 
Speed is ilrevavent, power means nothing, whats important is my Alum Mac matches my Stove, hehehhe 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next