Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:24 am 
Hi all,
I'm happy to say that my wedding/event/portrait photography business is doing so well that I'm going to be able to expand my gear and equipment. That and it's also nice to inherit $150,000. Well my current equipment is this Nikon D90, 18-105 VR Kit Lens, 35 f1.8, and 55-200 VR lens, SB-600 Speedlight. I've been asked to help photograph sporting events for a few newspapers in the Pittsburgh area a mixture of high school/college/professional events both indoors and out. I'm also a very established wedding photographer. I'm looking to stay with Nikon equipment as far as cameras and lenses go and am looking to buy some studio lighting as well. I'm looking at Westcott Spyder lights for my studio. What cameras and lenses would you suggest I take a look at? I'm also buying a brand new Macbook Pro to shoot tethered in the studio with and to take with me out in the field. What tripods would you all recommend that have the available accessories that are necessary to hold the computer and the camera. I'm definitely looking at a 70-200 2.8 lens, the 300 f2.8, and 24-70 f2.8 lenses from Nikon. I'm going to be buying 2 camera bodies and am looking at full frame and cropped bodies or one of each. I'm not sure what models I want. I've been looking at a D300s, the D7000, the D3S, and the D700. Either way I'm definitely going to be buying all the accessories like spare batteries, memory cards, battery grips etc. Also I'd like to get a few speedlights as well. Has anyone tried the new S700? What are y'alls ideas on what I should buy? Please make recommendations on lenses, speedlights, tripod and or head, accessories, and the camera bodies you would get please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:27 am 

Studio, D3x, wedding + sports D3s or D700 + grip (with EN-EL4a batteries), lenses 24-70 + 70-200 + 85/1.4G, speedlights minimal 1 SB-900 for on camera and for off camera (PC Sync port for studio). Instead of D700 for sports you can also go for D300s "free reach" but the problem is the low light capabilities then compared to a D3s indoors.

Tripods and heads are a personal preference, how high does it need to go, how low, how heavy and small for carrying.

As I am not yet started in the studio lighting I am afraid I cant help you there, but you could stay with Speedlights and use umbrellas if you have the SB-900 + PC sync cable or use radio triggers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:21 pm 

Before dropping serious $$$ on a D3S or even more on a D3X, I'd see what happens with the D4 release further down the line this year.

If you're shooting weddings etc are you going to keep the D90 as a backup body, or replace? I'd be tempted in your situation in trading to a D7000 for lightness and extra high ISO capabilities, and then leaning towards the D700 replacement or D4 as your main bit of kit.

Lenses - well how about a 105mm Micro for ring shots etc, or even trying something completely left field (it will help if you change out your focussing screen to a split prism) like a Carl Zeiss 100mm F2 - that's my no 1 wish list lens at the moment. Manual focus but don't let that put you off - it's oh so good!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:47 pm 
The D700 I think is a must, I have this and a D300s, the 300s is a great cropped camera and I use for wildlife, walkabout but the D700 in low light conditions is something else, just fantastic. If I could afford it i would have the D3x and D700 with powergrip as a working pair, dont see the point in buying cropped if you can afford full frame. And dont forget sigma lenses, they are good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:02 am 

There have been similar discussions before, especially concerning backup kit. If you want to get the most value for your money you might want to consider kit that uses accessories that can be shared, be that batteries, filters lenses, lighting, remote controls etc.

For ease of switching during a shoot you probably want at least two camera bodies that are the same or you will have a different set of buttons and menus to contend with.

Then you may want to look at which equipment will give you the broadest range of features for the type of shots you will take. There are so many variables that only you can really narrow things down, do you want the fastest continuous shooting speed or the best low light capability. Can you make better use of a better lighting set up or a better set of lenses?

You already have a successful set up with the kit you own, does this mean you have what you need for this type of photography and the new kit should be tailored for different types of shot? Maybe consider sitting on the cash for a while and only consider investing it where you feel your current equipment limits your business on a day to day basis. Should you be investing in backup or archiving devices for an ever expanding portfolio?

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:13 pm 
oooh, lucky sod! If I was in that position, where money was no object, I'd go with a couple of D700s, and a D3s for sudio work. All the 2.8 glass you can carry, a bundle of SB900 flashes and the best of softboxes/light stands/brollys/studio lights money can buy. You'd make it all back over a good few weddings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:16 am 
I have the SB-700.
One word: You don't need anything else!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:20 am 

A few of the advantages to the SB-900 is higher output and the PC-sync port for studio work. And I dont think the SB-700 will take an external battery pack. Things to consider when buying. It is all about intended uses and money you want to spend.