Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Show on Oasis
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:31 am 

Wildlife Photographers starts on Oasis on Feb 5th. Looks like it is all done in Africa and follows a husband and wife photography team... at least that's what I got from the commercial... will be interesting to see what its like.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:44 am 

the first show of the series was on tonight on oasis... very good.. lots of good little tips on wildlife photography... especially for beginners.. I would recommend it highly... except that they only speak french and the show has a translater :)

even has some funny parts.. for part of the show they were trying to catch a pair of mating lions and the pic they were going for was once in a while the male lion bites the female a bit too hard while mating and they both bare their teeth.. keep in mind lions take about 5 seconds to mate... now they arelookign for perfect light and also the perfect angle with nothing in the way.. even blades of grass in the wrong place means the photo gets deleted that night as they review them.. that's funny too cause the wife wants to keep this one and the husbands says its crap... when they review the pics they litterally dont spend more than a second on a pic to decide if to delete or not.

good show.

only thing I would touch on is something we have been touching here on of late.. for 24 years the husband has been shooting in the same game preserve in Kenya.. the animals see enough humans/tourist traffic where they litterally [pay no attention to the vehicles. And he actually knows most of the animals there by name.. by most I mean cheetahs, lions, leoperds and the main animals ppl shoot.

they go for 6 weeks at a time... they delete the vast magority of the photos there and only keep what they think has potentioal... they bring back between 7000 and 8000 pics each time.. of those they average about 3000 keepers that have potential for selling.. of those they get about 4 to 6 really good one of a kind shots.

they shhot as a team.. one shooting closeups and the other shooting something a bit wider..

coolest thing they has was a bracket big enough to hold FF bodies with a 600mm prime on it and the bracket attaches to the edge of the car when the drivers window is rolled down.. now I have seen these before but his actually slides along the whole lenght of the windo when it is open so he has good manueverablity and a solid mout... its also some kind of quick mounting system cause he has it in place in litterally 1 or 2 seconds... I want one :twisted:

In the entire first show you never seen one pic taken from outside the vehicle... they never left it once for any shot... at least not in the pieces recorded for the show... its been said many times here.. your car is one of your best blinds.

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:36 am 

Watched it and thought it was quite good.
I dunno what program they were using for viewing/deleting with one click and enlarging that simply but I'd love to have it!
Be nice to be able to decide to dump ones of that quality that quick also...LOL :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:41 am 

The vehicle they are driving has made me think a bit as well.. I'm focusing strickly on Canadian Wildlife these days and plan on doing that for the forseeable future. Would be cool to rig up a 4x4 in a similar way... I love the roof tent idea... as mentioned above love the mount he has for the door for the camera. Would be cool to rig up some kind of camera holder to fit on the passenger seat when no one else is with you so you have instant access to all cameras and lenses/gear. A sunroof big enough where you could stand up in the driver's seat and shoot out the top? And if you can do the sunroof thing have a permantent 1/2 circle rail on the roof which supports a tripod via a quick snap in mount so when you are in an area where you think you will be shooting you can mount the tripod... when ready to use poke up through the roof, slap the camera on the tripod via quickmount and you are ready to shoot... the railing allows the tripod to rotate 180 degrees or a bit more... lots of things one could do to make a vehicle more photo friendly...

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:09 am 
I guess we don't get that channel here, I looked searched for it. Sounds interesting though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:48 am 

My first and third ones....must be something appealing to me about them.
One extreme in weather to another...

If ya get one,don't blame me when you visit the pumps...often...and you will.
Not overly economical especially when outfitted with suitable tires and I doubt you'll be sleeping in it but it will carry a tent and supplies to where you'll need a tent.

Look here kev....http://www.oasishd.ca/

Here is the show itself...http://www.oasishd.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=138:art-wildlifephotographers&catid=26:catw&Itemid=3[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:00 am 

its a 24/7 wildlife channel Kev.. if you are into wildlife its amazing.

I used to own a jeep kpr... ya.. probably gonna get another... or landrover.. just need to see which rigs up better for me.

if nothing else I seriously want that car window mount he has though.

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:32 am 

Well now of course you can't have the mount without the lens!!!!

:twisted:

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:57 pm 

I watch Austin Stevens Adventures every now and then - amazing show, I highly recommend watching it, especially if you're a wildlife photographer. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:01 am 

Watched one lastnight on Natl Geo or Oasis called "Wild Justice".
Kind of Cops for wildlife,quite good and scary at the same time seeing the disregard some have twds wildlife :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:46 am 

missed that one kpr.. I have seen most of austin steven's shows... showed a lot of interesting ways to take pics of reptiles and smaller critters... had to laugh though when he went to BC to photograph grizzlies... having never been in a temperate rainforest he had quite the experience sitting in his tent waiting out 2+ days of rain.

My Flickr