Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: iPod Storage
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:39 am 

I heard from a coworker that he had stored his photos on his iPod during a trip he took, and I was wondering if there was a way to transfer photos from your DSLR (Canon Rebel XT/XTi) directly to an iPod with out using a computer, anyone try this?

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:04 am 

You can buy an iPod photo connector. It is a small adapter that plugs into the base of an iPod to provide a USB port into which you can plug a digital camera. I have one and have used it in the past with my Fujifilm Finepix F10. I haven't used it with my Nikon D80 though. The reason is that is is very slow to transfer photos. To transfer around 1Gb of photos takes at least 30 minutes and just about drains the iPod's battery. I don't think it is usable for a 2Gb or 4Gb memory card. When I went to New Zealand for 3 weeks I took both my laptop and iPod. I transferred photos from my D80 to my laptop each night then backed them up from the laptop to the iPod at normal USB2 speeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:13 pm 

Thanks a ton! I was thinking of taking a lap top but thought it would be easier with an iPod, seems like the lap top may be the way to go. Thanks for the help.

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:09 pm 

i think it sucks it doesn't work on my ipod touch. well i might just have to take my laptop...

Rebel Xsi + Grip, Tamron 17-55mm 2.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8 (non II), Canon 18-55mm IS, 50mm I.8 II, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Cullmann 4500-c Flash, Canon Speedlite 430 exII, Nikon Speedlight SB-80dx , Lensbaby composer, Studio Strobe and Equipment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

I also seem to recall there may have been an issue with it only transferring JPGs and not RAW or movie files, but maybe I dreamt that...! It's worth checking on any photo backup solution though.

How about taking an Asus Eee PC!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:46 pm 

mh... yeah i would consider one, but i have a macbook, which is a fairly small laptop anyways, so it would be dumm to spend another 300 euros on a laptop with just 4Gb of space... :D

Rebel Xsi + Grip, Tamron 17-55mm 2.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8 (non II), Canon 18-55mm IS, 50mm I.8 II, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Cullmann 4500-c Flash, Canon Speedlite 430 exII, Nikon Speedlight SB-80dx , Lensbaby composer, Studio Strobe and Equipment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:16 pm 

Gordon Laing wrote:
I also seem to recall there may have been an issue with it only transferring JPGs and not RAW or movie files

That is because iPod does not support all file types. like only .mov files for video clips.
So annoying since i got entire heroes in .avi :P
So i doubt it is odd that you cant transfer the RAWs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:49 pm 

mh... yeah. you can convert your heroes movies... into a supported file kind. atleast thats what i do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:22 pm 

hmm not sure what it is then.

And no i cant convert them cause i somewhat destroyed my operating system by mixing vista and mac osx. Don't ask why, and now i cant use executable files, meaning i cant install the converter :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:14 pm 

Gordon Laing wrote:

Actually, the EEE Pc could be an excellent option with a higher memory capacity - but it can easily be hooked up to an external hard drive of a higher capacity.

As a student in software engineering, I'm very interested in the setting up of an EEE PC station for photography only, by using Bluemarine (a free software equivalent to Lightroom and Aperture) and an external HD.

I did not give much thought to the project yet, but wouldn't it be a great thing to have a 300 bucks, ultraportable, photography workflow ? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:31 pm 

Henning91 wrote:
Gordon Laing wrote:
I also seem to recall there may have been an issue with it only transferring JPGs and not RAW or movie files

That is because iPod does not support all file types. like only .mov files for video clips.
So annoying since i got entire heroes in .avi :P
So i doubt it is odd that you cant transfer the RAWs.

yes u can covert ur .avi files to make them get into ur ipod

i this freeware: http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/ ... wnload.php

worsk great :D try it out

well that kinda neat to knw about the transfering of pix to the ipod, i have the monster ipod so i got loads of room. But usualy when i go of on vacation i will be shooting in JPG. and with the memory in the cam and the 2 SD cards i ahve i got plenty of room for photos. Soon to add to the memory collection will be 1 terrabyte external hard drive, along with so many others laying around the house - gotta stop my addiction to tv shows and movie :P

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:24 pm 

The iPod can deal with RAW file transfer because you treat it like a portable hard drive - in those circumstances it can store any file - however it cannot display RAW images, it can only display jpegs.

The Apple iPod Camera Connector is a very cheap little accessory - at least it is if you buy it from someone other than Apple - and you simply connect your camera directly to the iPod via the Camera Connector.

Be warned though, transfer speeds are not exactly fast and the process does take quite a toll on the iPod battery, however I've used my iPod on numerous occasions as a storage device for shots when I've been running low on in-camera memory. Having said that, camea memory is so cheap these days an extra memory card or two isn't going to break the bank.

I take my 80Gb iPod pretty much everywhere I go so its a viable backup device too.

Ron

Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:04 am 

sorry to pull this "old" thread up again.
BUT

when people are talking about using a mp3/multi media player as a photo storage device the discussion is mostly about the compatibilty of the ipod.

So I'd like to throw in another player that is more capable in my opinion.
I've just discovered that my Archos 605 WiFi can pull ALL the files from my 40D.
The great thing is, it can also display the Raw files! No conversion or software tricks needed. The only thing you need to do is open the files from the file browser (kind of a "explorer") since it will not be automatically put in the "pictures" directory. In reality this means one (yes one) more additional click! I haven't checked the exact download times, and yes it is of course not full USB2 speed but hey, after all it still is an mp3/video player in the first place.
Another good thing is that it has a 800x480 resolution display!! This player is much older than the iphone/ipod of the latest generation and has a better screen.
You can zoom to 100% (and +)

Other features include:
touchscreen, of course
plays almost every video
Opera web browser (incl latest flash player)
Easy management via drag and drop. No "i tunes"
The new software includes GPS Navigation

So if you're looking for a good compromise, this of course isn't a photo data bank in the first place but it handles pictures pretty well and it is a joy to show them on the big display or to hook it up to a TV.
Since I've discovered that it can transfer all my files and does display the Canon Raw files I've quit thinking about expensive data banks, because this is a good enough compromise for me. Of course not for a professional photographer.

So if your're looking for a true multi media device rather than a fashion item, you might want to consider having a look at the Archos 605 WiFi.

I forgot some of the downsides:
the buttons (yes it als has some buttons) are not backlit.
the battery life could be longer (like with every player)
I have to think of more, maybe tomorrow..

regards,
dave

Post subject: Devices
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:54 am 
I always carry the Toshiba Libretto. Small like a tiny portable DVD player, but full-fledged laptop with hard drive and all ports, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:13 pm 

Guillaume wrote:
Gordon Laing wrote:

Actually, the EEE Pc could be an excellent option with a higher memory capacity - but it can easily be hooked up to an external hard drive of a higher capacity.

:)

Ive found that you can buy asus eee's with 20gb internal hard drives now , bit pricey tho at £330 ($660)