Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:08 pm 
Not unless you want to, you and you alone know what quality settings suit you best. I only mentioned the quality settings because, when you wrote about the 1.6K shots capacity, I assumed you might be using somehing below the maximum jpeg quality; but if you say you're using Large+Fine on your D7000 that means your SD card is huge, perhaps 128GB? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:48 pm 
No I'm using two 16GB class 10 memory cards is that unusual and what do u mean by quality settings...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:32 pm 

It is not unusual, it is user preference.
RAW (NEF) or JPEG, and JPEG is subdivided in quality FINE, NORMAL, BASIC, and image sizes LARGE, MEDIUM, SMALL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:54 pm 
Did anyone catch this review of the D7k?

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipm ... eview.html

What was interesting to me was following bit:
Quote:
Elsewhere the 6fps continuous shooting mode makes the D7000 pretty nippy. It may be marginally slower than the D300s's 7fps capability, but the difference is relatively negligible. When shooting JPEG fine it was possible to shoot 100 frames (the max continuous release option) without delay on a single still subject, while a moving subject provided subtle delay for the autofocus to catch up and shoot. It's only when shooting Raw that things slow down a little, as Raw + JPEG Fine maxed out at 11 frames before a brief pause, showing some slight limitation to the buffer's capacity.

That sure did NOT sound like the kind of experience we saw in CameraLabs live video review. Wonder what's going on here?[quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

Did they say what kind of JPEGS they were shooting? They wouldn't get 100 frames at the Large Fine setting. Even Nikon admits to that in the manual.

I don't know what methodology they use for continuous shooting tests, but if they're pointing a camera at a relatively blank wall in the office when testing continuous shooting, even Large Fine JPEGS would be sufficiently small not to fill the buffer.

This is why it's important to state the settings AND test in real-life conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:21 am 
IMO until manufactures settle upon a set of standardised tests all claims by producers have to be taken with a pinch of salt. Car manufacturers are getting closer with more standardised urban cycle fuel consumtion figures. I think it is unfair for a manufacture to say 5,6,10 FPS when some mean for just a few seconds before buffer slow down it is not a false hood as indeed they can do the claimed frame numbers in a single second but it intimates indefinate FPS.
It would be nice to have a standardised figure that not only says maximum FPS but also said how many frames you can shoot in eg raw before buffer slow down.
I am not a saturation photographer so FPS is not hugely vital for me, but for some users I could well imagine it would be a very important factor in their purchase decision

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:01 pm 

If you read the press release they often say for how many frames in total at what setting. And if it is for 2 seconds I think that should already cover 99,9% of the people out there. Who needs more is probably already looking to buy into the pro segment. People that still need more or longer, either have not studied their subject, or are not photographers that know their equipment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:08 pm 
Thats interesting WoutK89 which press releases are these? as I would like to read them for comparison.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:09 pm 

I am not going to read through old press releases, but they state in some of them fps >*< and on the bottom is the actual RAW performance for how many frames. And lucky us, there is always practice and reviews, you can go to a store to try it out if it suits you and in reviews they are glad to test the speed. You dont need to be first to own something.

Post subject: fps/buffer depth
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:47 pm 
Agreed Gordon. That's why I found your comparison of the D7k to the 60D in the field so valuable. I was very disappointed when I watched the video to see AND hear just how quickly the buffer filled up and the fps ground to a near standstill.

Something not evident, depending on how one chooses to spin the numbers, but clear as a bell when shown in the review video shooting the jet boats. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Ingersoll, I really wanted to show how they compared in actual use.

PS - Lee, as Wout says, the total number of frames is often quoted on the press releases, but often as an asterisk referred to in small print at the end. Or sometimes in the specification sheet at the end. It's also often quoted in the manuals, and these are generally available to download in PDF format as soonas the camera is released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:47 pm 
FYI the info can be found on page 320 of the Nikon US manual and page 85 of the Canon US manual.

I must say I'm more than a bit disappointed by the D7k's performance in this realm. What's the point of higher fps if it's hobbled by such an anemic buffer? The D7k is a winner on so many other levels, but this may just be a deal breaker for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:02 am 

WoutK89 wrote:
And if it is for 2 seconds I think that should already cover 99,9% of the people out there. Who needs more is probably already looking to buy into the pro segment.

Does that answer your question? Remember, this is still a consumer camera and you already get a lot in this camera.

Post subject: Firmware update
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:04 am 
The camera is pretty much perfect for my needs except for the buffer problem. Has / would a firmware update fix this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:42 am 

if i understand right, the buffer is acts actually similar to RAM on computer, you write data to it so it can be processed and transferred to the memory card.

the speed of the transfer process is regulated by the processor, and size of buffer is determined by the number of flip-flop transistor units installed (1 pair of transistors = 1 bit :shock: ), so according to that the buffer size and speed should be mostly hardware problem, and no firmware update will change that.. (correct me if i'm wrong)

add me up on:

flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakica/

deviant art:
http://tbensic.deviantart.com/

----:>bakice ce vladati svjetom<:----

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next