Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: little problem
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:28 am 
hello there,
im a beginner and i got this error in my rebel T2i. when i press the flash button it makes three click sounds and says " Err 05...The built-in flash could not be raised.Turn the camera off and on again".
what is that?..please help me to fix it. thanks!
-melskie-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:21 am 

Hi Melskie,

May I wish you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum. Sorry to hear you are having a problem. :(

A quick check on the Canon page here offers:
    Err 05 The built-in flash could not be raised. Turn the camera off and on again.

• Turn the power switch to < ON > to turn on the power again. If the instructions above do not solve the problem, please
    contact your nearest Canon Service Center.
So, apart from doing a quick visual check (don't force anything) to make sure nothing is obstructing the flash, it looks like a call to your service center.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:57 am 

Do you use a separate flash at all?

If so, the way the rebel system tells how a flash is being used is due to a small bent piece of metal. Where the flash slides in, there is a metal piece that goes from the bottom of the rail to the top of it. When a flash is inserted, it will force the metal down. If you constantly use an external flash, that piece of metal might not be coming up as much and therefore telling the camera that there is an external flash and not to use the pop-up flash.

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II
Canon 430EX II
Opteka 13mm, 21mm, and 31mm extension tubes
Vivitar 50mm f/1.8 for OM System

Post subject: thank
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:21 am 
thanks for the replies guys!
i dont have an external flash...just the built in.
i did that turn on and off again many times but still says the error.i didnt do anything..didnt touch anything...i just the perss the flash logo for the built in flash and still display error.
any other advices?
if theres none...then i think ill bring it to canon shop.thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:55 am 

This is a long shot, but what happens if you force the camera to choose to pop up the flash? Put it on fully auto and keep the lens cap on, the camera will sense a dark scene and want to pop up the flash to compensate. Worth a shot I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:01 pm 
It does sound like te flash is obstructed in some way, maybe the part that makes the flash pop up is broken ( a spring or something like that? )
this may sound stupid but wat if you hold the camera upside down? just an idea :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:40 am 
thanks again for the replies...
trevor and matz.i did what you told me..still the same...im just gonna bring it to service.im still covered by the warranty anyway...thanks again..i appreciate your concern.

Post subject: Re: little problem
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:26 pm 
I placed my fingernail in the crack where the flash closes and gently forced it open while the clicking was occurring. It opened and inside I found a short piece of black electric tape. I had been using the tape to keep one of those cheap diffusers in place. It would not have caused this problem if I had stuck the tape completely outside of the flash head with none on the inside part. I had no problems after peeling off the sticky tape. I can imagine finger gunk or dust could do the same thing over time. A periodic thorough cleaning of the inside of the flash space with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol might be a good idea, especially if the pop-up flash is used frequently. Never turn the camera off with the pop-up flash up.