Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:01 am 

Some quick comments from todays walk:
- sharpness and contrast wide open are very good also on real targets at infinity. So my findings from the lab-tests are confirmed.
- bare twigs/trees against the sky produce some amount of purple ghosting wide-open with +1EV dialed in. This is an extreme test-case. But it was not as bad as seen on other lenses (esp. the 85/1.8D) and could be cured largely in CaptureNX2 with loCA removal dialed to 50%.
- Auto-focus sometimes overshot distant targets (e.g. pylons of a power-line against the sky) when coming from MFD. That is the focus was beyond infinity. In other instances AF was pretty good. Still have to test micro-focus properly.
- The lens seems well-centered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:08 pm 
Hi!

Great amount of work you're doing here, I'm really impressed.
May I ask you to do a specific test?
As you know, there's no 85mm f1.4 with fully corrected loCA, so the main difference is how do these lenses handle them at f2 and smaller apertures.

My idea is LoCA comparison between 35G and 85G at different apertures. Note, that it's better to have at least 1/2 or even 1/3 stop pitch (from f1.4 to f5.6) and identical lighting/exposure, of course.

P.S. This 85G is exceptional lens. It doesn't have purple fringing which is a big problem of 85D (either 1.4 or 1.8) and sigma 85. That means we're dealing with superb piece of glass. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:34 pm 

Hello maratus, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
Yeah, I was thinking of a similar test, because loCA at f/1.4 is only showing the worst case. So it would be interesting to see how fast that problem disappears when stopping down.
If I have time I want to make a real comparable serious between the 35/1.4G, the 50/1.4G, and the 85/1.4G.
Not sure about the need for 1/3 stops though. Will do this only if the effect of stopping down a full stop is very high.

As to purple fringing I've not yet had the right test-target for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:09 pm 

Have a look here for comparison of these primes.