Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: UPnP in routers
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:55 am 
Anyone here had any problems with UPnP enabled in routers?

I have just had a nightmare of a fortnight, my modem has been turning itself off, and with my lads being on the internet doing what lads do they have not been very happy with the drop outs. This has taken me ages to solve with phone calls to my isp, and visits to newsgroups and forums.

Because my main PC has Vista installed it has been playing games with my old and trusty version 1 Netgear DG834G router.

In the last 3 weeks I have updated the firmware in the router and thought I sorted all the settings out, but there was one setting that was not turned off UPnP, everytime my Vista PC went into sleep mode so did the internet even though the internet came back on every 10 minutes while my pc was in sleep mode the internet would turn off.

It looks like UPnP has a security issue in routers and computers, I have allways been able to turn UPnP of my laptop, but I am having a problem to turn it off on my Vista PC, but I am sure I will find the answer in a couple of days.

Thought I would share my dillema.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:42 pm 

If your having lot of drop outs, it could be down to DNS servers not relaying your IP addresses quick enough, i recommend using open DNS rather than that given by your given ISP.

http://www.opendns.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:47 pm 

Orsan Kart wrote:
If your having lot of drop outs, it could be down to DNS servers not relaying your IP addresses quick enough, i recommend using open DNS rather than that given by your given ISP.

It worked for me last year. The free service is plenty good enough. My problems weren't related to UPnP, however.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:58 pm 

UPnP Help

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) helps devices, such as Internet appliances and computers, access the network and connect to other devices as needed. UPnP devices can automatically discover the services from other registered UPnP devices on the network.

Turn UPnP On

UPnP can be enabled or disabled for automatic device configuration. The default setting for UPnP is enabled. If disabled, the Router will not allow any device to automatically control the resources, such as port forwarding (mapping), of the Router.

Advertisement Period

The Advertisement Period is how often the Router will advertise (broadcast) its UPnP information. This value can range from 1 to 1440 minutes. The default period is for 30 minutes. Shorter durations will ensure that control points have current device status at the expense of additional network traffic. Longer durations may compromise the freshness of the device status but can significantly reduce network traffic.

Advertisement Time To Live

The time to live for the advertisement is measured in hops (steps) for each UPnP packet sent. A hop is the number of steps allowed to propagate for each UPnP advertisement before it disappears. The number of hops can range from 1 to 255. The default value for the advertisement time to live is 4 hops, which should be fine for most home networks. If you notice that some devices are not being updated or reached correctly, then it may be necessary to increase this value a little.

UPnP Portmap Table

The UPnP Portmap Table displays the IP address of each UPnP device that is currently accessing the Router and which ports (Internal and External) that device has opened. The UPnP Portmap Table also displays what type of port is opened and if that port is still active for each IP address.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hmmm, I'm running UPnP on my Netgear DG834N and it's behvaing fine, but you should be able to disable it in the router's menus if you prefer... to be honest even as a Vista user, I've not benefitted from UPnP in the router as yet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:07 pm 
Many thanks for the info I will follow it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:18 am 
Orsan Kart wrote:

I am trying open dns to see if it fixes my problem, I do not know about UPnP I read alot of bad stuff about it.