Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sony HX9V
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:12 pm 
When Sony showed the HX7V at Vegas I knew that my HX5 would be good for another year.

Then I heard about the HX9V and after collecting some info I think I have to upgrade.

My main concern is the 16.8 mp sensor, If the picture quality is not worse than the HX5 there are many tempting improvements.

much better screen
1080p 50/60 fps at 28 Mps
better microphones with digital windfilter
16x zoom in the pocket
take 3 mp pictures while the video is not interrupted
0.1 sec focus lock courtesy of the magnetic coil system
much better grip
charge direct via USB cable (good also for emergency battery backup)
mini HDMI (no more dongle)
DSLR style Background Defocus
much improved auto mode
...and lots of little things too

as usual, I started a blog to collect all my findings.
http://hx9v.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:34 pm 

Looking at the 16.2MP HX7V the lens aperture ranges from f/3.5 to f/5.5 depending on the zoom. That's barely good enough to avoid image softening through diffraction, if I've got my sums right, and they want to increase the pixel count yet again. Oddly enough I've been boring everyone to tears over in this thread about the stupidity of applying a digital zoom to a lens/sensor system which is already diffraction limited so it's great to see that Canon aren't the only culprits. :evil:

OK, rant over. You've graced us with some great shots from your HX5, so you've certainly mastered that camera, and I guess so long as you work within the potential limitations of a 16.8 MP sensor, which you've rightly flagged in your post, the added and improved features of an HX9 could be of value.

Rather than referring us to your blog would you care to share with us here on the forum why the Sony HX line is your preferred choice?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:00 pm 
sure thing Bob

I love the way I can shoot from the min distance of 2" and can use the zoom up to 2.4x
I love that at this short distance the forced flash works flawless
I love the amount of detail I can get with a little basic post processing
The shadow parts i can recover since the hx5 does not use the contrast too much.
I love the quick and sinple panorama shots up to 2x5 mp
(for hq panoramas I still use autopano to stitch)
I love the stacking modes they work very well and give me 2 iso steps more
I love the innovation Sony packs into the cameras
I love the 2 to 10 fps
I love the "only" 10 Mp sensor
I love the video mode and the quality, fast response to light change without being too fast
I love the active mode with the 10 times better stabilisation what makes it possible to shoot a tour from a motorcycle and watch it on the big screen without getting motionsick. (my hx1 videos were unwatchable)
I love the 10x zoom and was amazed to hear about Samsung packing a 18x zoom in a 20 mm thick camera
I love having a gps to tag photos when they are shot in nowhereland
I love having all this in one small package for less than 300 Euro

I was on the way to get a A55 but was waiting for the ces.
now i know that Sony will pack in most better cameras the 1080P with50/60 fps and most other features too they introduced with the TX100

so for the have in your pocket I think I will get a hx9 and for better quality I will look at the NEX 7 or Axx with the new features.

Bob I put a little easy to understand the 16 Mp problematic together, did I miss anything?
http://hx9v.blogspot.com/2011/01/sony-h ... -hx5v.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:34 pm 

Thanks Gran Canaria. I agree with you. If the dynamic range and higher ISO performance can match that of the HX5 this will be a massive upgrade (assuming too that the 24 to 384mm lens is reasonably sharp). If so, I would still have preferred they kept it at 10MP to further improve the dynamic range and higher ISO performance . Unfortunately I think it unlikely that the HX9 will in fact be as good as the HX5. I hope I am wrong. I also hope (probably in vain) that the HX9 will allow us to turn off noise reduction.

My HX5 Gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/frank_b/sony_hx5v

Regards,
Frank B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:15 am 
Site Admin

Hi Joe, where are you getting your information from?

As far as I know, Sony hasn't announced an HX9 yet, so anything here is speculation on a product that may not even exist.

Of course it may have passed me by in the recent announcements but I certainly can't find anything about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:18 pm 
Hi Gordon,
The Sony HX9V will be announced February 2nd at the CP+2011 and in stores April 2011 for $350
The pictures and part of the data was leaked for a few hours on the B&H website.
The in Vegas announced Sony HX7 could not have been the successor, there is no way the TX100V has better video than the Sony travel zoom flagship.
Sony plays now the Panasonic TZ game in having a lower spec model for $50 less. The Sony H70 as a third and even lower specs model aimed at the TZ beginner.
The additional info is from Sony Japan website.

Sony will up the video specs to 1080p 50/60 fps and 28Mps on all higher end models including the Sony NEX-7, Sony A77, Sony A700 etc.

Now the wish from Mr.Cameron comes true who filmed Avatar in 2 Megapixel and wished for 48 fps instead of 24 to capture fast motion scenes better.

One of the most interesting features will be the advanced auto mode which will use HDR, AMB and HHT now if the situation is right - automatically.

I wonder how Background Defocus will work? With the Fuji F300 I never saw a review where it worked properly.

It is just a shame the jumped to the 16MP sensor.
Well 4 more years until we reach 25MP in p&S cameras.

For the Japanese camera makers the CP+2011 is the more important event. The theme of the fair is “World Premiere – Leading the way to the new age of photo imaging"

So lots of innovative products were not shown in Vegas but have to wait a months longer.

and some review sites starting now to post the info too
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/camera/ ... /show.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Joe. But remember until it is officially announced, it is just rumour and speculation. I look forward to seeing the announcements from the show...

PS - as you probably know, Panasonic announced the TZ20 / ZS10 yesterday - you can see my preview on the front page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:10 pm 

From the samples I've seen on the HX7V, the ISO performance looks to be fairly reasonable and improved over that of the HX5V. It's still not wonderful when inspected closeup, but viewed at more normal print sizes or display sizes, they appear cleaner, with better color retention and contrast compared to the HX5. So it would seem at least that Sony may not have gained anything going to 16MP, but also don't seem to have lost anything...and maybe the extra resolution might allow slightly better results when downsizing and post processing. The main difference I seem to see is that Sony's JPG processing engine looks to have improved a touch - cleaner looking, a little soft and NR is still strong causing some smearing of detail, but without the large, blotchy artifacting that was prevalent on the prior versions.

I apologize as I honestly don't know if there are any rules on posting various other sites here - so I don't want to link anything I shouldn't be - And please Gordon if mentioning the below is outside forum rules feel free to delete the reference...but the first samples I've seen up from the HX7V are on 'Photography Bay' website...a quick hands-on review they did at Vegas with some sneaked full res shots.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:25 pm 

Justin thanks for the info and the link. I agree that the samples look at least as good as the HX5. Of course, there are only a few samples and I will reserve judgement, but my hopes are high. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:26 am 
Site Admin

Hi Justin, thanks for asking! I only have a problem with external links if they're either to dodgy / unreputable tests, or to sites which knowingly block links back to us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:37 am 
I took a closer look at the 16MP samples and did some comparison and PP at my blog from ISO 125 to 3200

there is also some info and samples from the TX100V

also letsgodigital has the hx9v press set shots in silver (a web first)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:40 pm 
and finally the much needed resolution boost in the panorama mode

Intelligent Sweep Panorama HR (High Resolution) up to 42.9 megapixel panoramic images with 10480x4096 resolution and the party-shot works now also with the HX9V.

Compatible with the HX9V and several other Cyber-shot™ models, the latest Party-Shot™ IPT-DS2 is a docking base that automatically shoots smiling, relaxed portraits of everyone in the room. The new model features enhanced styling, touch sensitive activation for ‘on demand’ shooting and support for Intelligent Sweep Panorama with compatible Cyber-shot™ models. Supplied with a protective cover and a tripod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:19 pm 

I have used the HX5's Panorama mode sparingly because of its limited resolution. This is a marvelous upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:13 pm 
well Frank it nearly doubles the size from the A55
Panorama Still Image Size :
Horizontal Wide: 12,416 x 1,856 (23M)
Vertical Wide: 2,160 x 5,536 (12M)

sure will be interesting to see if the pano quality has also improved

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:19 pm 

As much as I like my Sony HX5, I will be tempted to buy the Fuji F550 rather than the Sony HX9, as it has RAW.

Fuji F550 Specifications
http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/dig ... fications/