Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:05 am 
Site Admin

NEW! Panasonic Lumix TZ20 / ZS10 full review!

NEW! Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ18 / ZS8 full review!

Hello everyone, today Panasonic announced the latest in its enormously popular travel zoom (TZ / ZS) series.

The latest TZ20 / ZS10 sports a new 16x optical range, touch-screen display, fast continuous shooting and 1080i video.

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:26 pm 
Hi Gordon
This Panasonic ZS10 / TZ20 sure has near identical specs to the SONY HX9V.
But the touch-screen and all the functions it comes with is a gorgeous add on.

The undocumented maxro zoom I discovered in the Sony HX5 is a feature the Panasonic TZ20 / ZS10 has implemented also
Macro Zoom
Including accessories and nail, close to you closer to small, attractive macro capture large. If the TZ20, you can zoom up to three times further from 近寄Reru limit, can be taken with great power.

Looks like Panasonic got inspired by Sony´s active mode video IS.

Movie recording while walking, so the camera is not stable, but prone big hand shake. TZ20, the evolution of image stabilization during movie shooting! "Active mode" to ON if to expand the operating range of the lens image stabilization. Without degrading image quality, shake it until it corrects occur when taking a big walk, you can watch a smooth and easy to film.

They also have now the multi shot like Sony´s HHT and a nice HDR mode.
I am just missing any panorama mode.

I already put a comparison page up with some interesting infos from Japan.
http://hx9v.blogspot.com/2011/01/sony-h ... -zs10.html

Last edited by Gran Canaria on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:28 pm 

Those macro zoom is also on the FZ38, it's (at least on the FZ38) a digital zoom... nothing special.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the extra info Joe...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:55 am 
it is not a digital zoom
normally the closest position you can get in macro mode is at full wide angle.
With the HX5 you can use the optical zoom in that position up to 2.4 X from the same position.

have a look and click on the pictures for cropped full original size
http://hx5v.blogspot.com/2010/08/sony-hx5-super-macro-close-up.html

you are very welcome Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:28 pm 
I have been having a love affair with my ZS7 for the past several months. Unfortunately (or perhaps, fortunately) we dropped it on a sidewalk in Grand Cayman and it suffered some damage. It still works, but is pretty busted up. It might be an opportunity to replace it with the ZS10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:29 pm 
I'm so glad to hear Panasonic decided to go with a MOS sensor on the ZS10. I absolutely love my ZS7 but my only disappointment has been the blue streaking in my videos when I get anywhere near light sources. Wow--16x zoom, a MOS sensor, full HD video and Panasonic's already fantastic stereo sound? I think the ZS10 could be the ultimate concert camera!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:54 am 
Site Admin

NEW! Panasonic Lumix TZ20 / ZS10 High ISO Noise results!

NEW! Panasonic Lumix TZ20 / ZS10 HD video samples!

Hi everyone, I just published our High ISO Noise results for the Lumix TZ20 / ZS10 and a selection of HD video clips, including some which show no evidence of vertical streaking on highlights!

Full review to follow soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:31 am 
Greetings,

I am so looking forward to your review of the TZ20, looks like you are close to finishing it. We have a bumper crop of cameras in this category being released and I am looking to grab me one in the next month or two, panasonic and sony toping my short list at the moment.
Thanks for your great reviews, they will be of help when finally deciding on my first camera for 6 years.
Keep up the great work.

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:49 am 

14 MP seems to be too much as could be expected. Pity they didn't stay at 12 MP or go back to 10 MP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:41 pm 

Gordon did you also do any ISO comparisons with the TZ20 images downsized to match the Canon at 10mp? At least in theory, I understand that with the same sensor (assuming the camera noise reduction processing is equal - you indicate it is better in the Canon) the higher MP version should have the same noise level as the lower MP version, when the MPs are reduced to that of the lower MP version. As I understand it, with the same sensor, the total light received (vs. the light to each well) is equal at the same aperture/shutter speed, regardless of the MPs of the sensor and it is the extra resolution that resolves more noise. Reduce the resoution and the added noise disappears.

Here is a link to an article on this.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essay ... eras.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Frank, if only that were possible. Remember sensors have finite resolutions, marked out in a strict grid pattern. If you select a lower resolution, it doesn't magically make the pixels bigger and more sensitive. Instead the camera generally takes one of the following approaches:

1: It takes it at the full res anyway and downsamples in software.

2: It skips every few pixels to generate a lower res image.

3: It combines adjacent pixels to generate a lower res image with greater sensitivity - known as pixel-binning.

Option 3 is obviously the most desirable, but you'd need to significantly reduce the resolution to double-up pixels. Indeed to double-up, you'd have to halve the horizontal and vertical resolution. This is effectively what they do in their 'high sensitivity' modes, which for the TZ20 / ZS10 would be at 3.5 Megapixels.

So the best you can do is to take the 14 Mpixel original and downsample it in software to, say, 10 Mpixels. You're welcome to try that with my sample images, either using the crops from the High ISO noise page, or from the upcoming sample images page in the full review. But don't expect miracles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:49 pm 

Gordon,

Really looking forward to the full review, when is it likely to make an appearance?

Only reason I ask is I am off on holiday in a few months to malaysia and I am looking to get a travel zoom for the trip.

I have a Canon 30D and SX1 but they are both too big and bulky for the trip and I am not impressed by the average photos from the SX1. I also have a LX3 which I love but i think its zoom range will be too limiting for the trip.

My experience with the LX3 has made me consider the TZ10 and now TZ20 so please put me out of my misery and tell me the review is coming soon :D

I considered the GF1 and GF2 but I think for ease of travel i dont want to be carrying around lenses all day long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:27 pm 
they look quite soft and noisy already in ISO 100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

@thepominlaw - I can't say exactly when it will be finished, but it will be soon! Watch this space!

You may also wish to consider the Sony HX7 / HX9 and Canon SX220 HS / SX230 HS, all of which I hope to review in the future - again can't say when though.