Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:14 pm 

jwnrw wrote:
Get into a camera shop and handle the camera personally. That will seal the deal for you.

I couldn't agree more. Taking my budget and the features I wanted into account, I narrowed my options down to either the 550D or the D5000 and the moment I held both cameras, the 550D felt far more natural in my hand and that sealed the deal for me to get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:47 pm 

For me, direct access buttons are more than just dedicating the direction buttons on the navigation set to four commonly used functions. The more expensive a camera gets, the easier it is to access common features such as auto-bracketing, etc.

Most all cameras have some direct access buttons beyond the navigation buttons - so I would agree that it is arguable that this is becoming less of a mid-range camera thing. FPS speed, on the other hand, is still quite different when you go from what I see as entry level to mid-range -- as noted in my previous entry. One thing that is definite -- and that is that more expensive cameras have better viewfinders -- ie. tend to be larger and cover more of the actual picture -- the new D7000 is a 100% viewfinder if memory services me correctly. Entry level cameras are still not really there from the viewfinder perspective, imo.

At the end of the day -- whether a camera is mid or entry level is probably less important to the OP - so long as it feels right in the hand, and has all the features one is after - and fits within their budget. It may be you can get all you want in an "entry-level" or you may need to go to a higher price point/feature set to secure the features you are after.

My Flickr

Post subject: pentax kx
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:53 pm 

Thanks for all the info guys it has been very valuable I have more or less settled on the Pentax kx which comes with 2 lenses an 18-55 & 55-300mm lense. I think that will satisfy my needs. I have had a hold of the camera & it feels right I don't have the biggest of hands & found both the Cannons & Nikons a little heavy. If any one has any last words of advice good, bad or indifferent before I hand over my bucks I would be very grateful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:56 pm 

Direct access or dedicated, it does exactly the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:28 pm 

What do you mean???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:29 pm 

padraigr wrote:
What do you mean???

People seem to think that dedicated buttons are better. It doesn't make too much of a difference, really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:12 pm 

I personally prefer more direct access buttons rather than fiddling with menus. If you have the key controls available on a dedicated button, you may find it easier to mess about with settings. ymmv.

BTW -- I think the Pentax is a good choice. But then, I also don't believe that there is currently a "bad" DSLR out there these days -- you just need to find the one that fits your needs, and -- most importantly -- feels best in your hands.

My Flickr