Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Kata versus Lowepro bags
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:10 pm 
Hi everybody.

I have just bought a 70-300mm lens and subsequently need to upgrade my camera bag. I have been looking at the Kata 3N1-30 and the 123-GO-30. They look extremely similar - is there a difference? Has anybody compared the two directly?

Also, I was looking at the Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW or the Fastpack 200 or 350. Well, I say "looking" but it's all virtual and it's difficult to get a proper feel without seeing and touching the physical item.

Any comments on these? My two basic criteria are: big enough to fit Canon 40D plus 700-300mm, 17-85mm, 50mm lenses with some room to spare for flash gun (when I've saved up enough to buy one). Also important is a space for non-camera stuff: lunch etc.

Separate question: do the weather covers that some of these bags feature actually do anything? My experience with normal mountain gear is that they do nothing except get in the way.

Cheers,
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:18 pm 

The cover on my Lowepro 302AW folds into the base of the bag. You then pull it over the bag when needed. (elasticated)
Doesn't get in the way, other than you obviously have to pull it back to uncover your bag if you want to get in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:28 pm 
Cheers. I had a Lowepro shoulder bag which was fine. I never used the AW cover but I always had a suspicion that they don't really do the job.

I have a similar cover for a Berghaus rucksack and when it properly rains (i.e. Lake District rain) it has zero effect (apart from getting in the way) and just blows off and flaps about.

Perhaps the camera bag ones are much better but frankly I doubt it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:29 pm 

My Thinktank bags have weather covers with sealed seams,which they say is unique in the industry. I'm guessing they mean other raincovers are somewhat rubbish, but I haven't tested those.

They work quite well on my thinktank stuff though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:48 am 

Have a look at this forum thread with some shots of gear in bags http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20805

I use the Lowepro FastPack 350 and find it has plenty of space for gear, lunch and a laptop. Not fully tested it's water resistance.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:35 pm 

Citruspers wrote:
which they say is unique in the industry.

Actually if they say that they're incorrect :). Lowepro's Vertex series (released back in early 2007) has "heat-sealed seams" as well :). I'd think Lowepro's more recent (late 2009) Pro Trekker series might have this too, considering the fact it's their flagship series of backpacks :).

It's been a while since I've used the All-Weather cover on my CompuTrekker, but I've been in out what I'd label as bad weather (light snow, heavy rain, wind...although obviously Alaska or so has far worse weather conditions than Belgium :lol:) and everything has always been as dry as it should be - laptop, books, camera gear, food,,...

Personally I'd rather get a backpack (a Flipside 400 AW for instance), for better comfort (thanks to a padded waist belt). Sling bags are very convenient, but in my opinion they don't offer all day comfort. That said, I yet have to try the new Slingshots which offer a padded waist belt (at least the 302 has one, judging from this image found at B&H's page).

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:31 pm 
Sorry, I realize this is an older thread, so you may have already purchased, but I'd just like to point out that the All-Weather Lowepro cover works spectacularly well. Last year I went out for a 4+ hour walk in a non-stop downpour with my Lowepro Slingshot and nothing inside got wet. In fact, since I was attired head to toe in gore-tex, the only things that got wet that day were my nose and hands (gloves weren't waterproof!)

I personally don't like the Slingshot design. I'd much rather have the weight distributed across both shoulders evenly. That's why I bought the Lowepro Flipside, but mine has a tripod pull-out thing where the AW cover would have been, maybe the larger model has both as Joris mentioned... so I went to my local camping store and found a $20 rain cover for the backpack.

I bought the Flipside 300. In the main compartment it can hold: my large bulky wallet, my camera with either the 70-200 or the 100-400 with hood reversed, the latter is a little wide and an extra tight fit, 50mm with hood on straight, the rain cover, a small bottle of sunscreen, a couple of food bars. In the inside pocket I can throw in extra batteries and other flat type items like papers, maps, passport (it rides right on your back). And then the outside pocket is practically useless, it gets keys, spare memory cards, maybe lens wipes and it's full.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:00 pm 
Thanks Jenny. In the end I went for a Kata 3N1-30 which is fine. It's a bit bigger than I really wanted (it's mostly empty) but it'll ensure my kit expansion programme is well catered for!