Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:14 pm 
What do you guys think of it? Is it worth paying 99$ for ?

http://www.eye.fi/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:56 pm 
Lol..that is a funny and tacky advertisement all at once, but they pulled it off.

Personally, I'd say no. For a number of reasons:
- already have a wired set-up
- I never post anything without reviewing it first
- 99$ is too expensive (for me) to save the 15 secs it takes to plug my card in my regular reader and start transfer
- I don't "sit, wait and watch" the progress bar on the transfer. My PC can multi task and I write posts like this while it happens
- I don't trust new technology not to make a mess of things
- What if someone in a public place has the same thing (cafe, airport, etc.) and I walk by, will my card upload to them?
- Does the card empty or does it simply copy the pics? Sometimes I want to keep them in my camera for portability - other times I want to move them from the card to my PC. I'm sure you can choose, but then you have to choose every time.
- Every time I take pictures, there are invariably a lot of them that plain stinks. Even if I wanted to upload, there are many I'd want to delete before. With this I have to delete them form the camera before getting close to my wireless.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a stick in the mud here..lol..I am inherently a techno-sceptic. Too much bad, bad tech out there has made me suspicious and paranoid :-)

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:00 pm 
yeah youre right, it is expensive. oh and it doesn't work with hotspots or directly to a laptop(without a router), so in vaca u can only use it as a normal card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:41 am 

According to this bit-tech.net article Nikon has announced that the D60 "will include compatibility tweaks" to support this card. Makes me wonder why they had to and whether similar "tweaks" are already in place for other cameras. I guess the only way to find out is for someone to test with the model of your choice.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:56 pm 
I would save the money, and get a lens or filters.

"Nikki and Tara" don't realy seem like the type to understand how it works. they just piont and shoot and the boyfriends or little brothers sets it up for them 8) :P 8) :P

for the same price I could get (on sale this week) three 2gigs, two 4gigs, one 8gig and a tripod and a pack of gum. . . LOL

Nick