Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:07 am 
Hey, I didnt see this question around so hopefully I'm making sense here..

I just bought a Canon 60D and I'm looking to buy a few more SD cards online, primarily because my wife and I both use the camera for professional/educational purpose and I would like to have separate cards to keep everything organized. I guess my question is, would it be better to buy just 2 32GB class 10 cards (one for each of us) or to buy 4 16GB class 10 cards? Im asking mostly in terms of reliability and performance. I have heard many people say that they wouldn't trust 32GB worth of data on a card and the most they ever put in their camera is like 8GB or something. Also, I have heard when recording video on DSLRs it is good to have extra cards when things start to overheat. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me on this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:38 am 
I am curious why do you need that much memory in the 1st place. 64GB is huge...even a super long event,like a wedding requires about 16GB. And to answer your question,I would go with 2 16GB cards for each.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:43 pm 
I need that much because I shoot several pieces a week for my education and also for my work. Usually about between 3-5 pieces each can use up as much as 2-3 hours of space and I don't always have the ability to back that up everyday (I know, its important, but sometimes my schedule just doesn't allow it). Anyway, thanks for your response. I am leaning toward your suggestion, if for anything, just to keep these projects a little more organized and separated from each other. It's a lot of footage... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:23 pm 

definitely 4 16gb cards. But have you considered 8 8gb cards. I have 2 8gb cards because I don't trust myself with one sd card (i know i will loose it).

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:10 am 
Yeah. I am maybe leaning that route to. Im with you on that, Im just not sure if I trust keeping that much data on one card. This is my first time shooting HD and previously Ive been shooting on a Canon GL2 which takes MiniDV so I have an instance backup, no need to worry (well, not much). Gonna order sometime today, thanks for the help :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:17 pm 

I carry 2 x 16 and 10 x 8 but I'm out for weeks at a time several times a year.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

There's pros and cons to both.

If you go for a single big card, then there's a chance you could lose lots if it becomes corrupted or gets lost / stolen.

But if you have mutliple smaller cards, there's a greater chance you could mislay one.

That said, I prefer to have several smaller cards rather than one big one for a trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:27 am 
I agree with you Gordon, it is really a toss up. I actually ordered my cards this afternoon, I went with 4 x 16GB Class 10 Cards. I felt it was a fairly good mix between the two decisions. I think at some point I may invest in a few 8 GB strictly for photos, but as of now I am mostly shooting video so the larger cards seemed more practical.