Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:27 am 
Im looking to get a sigma 18-200mm. I have found a cheap 2nd hand one online (less than half the RRP) but it is two years old.

Is that a risk? With it not being an amazing build quality (so ive heard) how will two years effect its quality?

Im only a young amateur photographer using a 550d which i use both for photography and my film making, but only have the 18-55mm kit lens.

Ive not been doing any massive enlargements, but i could in the future.

Im only 17 and this is all being paid for by me, so i cant splash out on too much more.

So any opinions on this lens or recommendations of other lenses?

Thanks,
-Marc McCarthy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:36 am 
how much are you willing to spend to get a new lens for your 550D?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:41 am 
Around $400 NZ, the one i found is around $300.
Cant spend much, have to start saving for next year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:51 am 
how much is the difference between that used lens and brand new lens?

Did you try to find a used Canon 18-200mm??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:05 am 
about double.
New its around $740

I have looked at the canon, but there are no used so i would be pushing $1000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:14 am 
:O thats really expensive well did you see that lens online or local store? if local store try it and ask them how is the condition of the lens, any repair has been made something like that just to be sure.

If the lens if properly stored, used then it should be fine :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:28 am 
yea, online, Trade me, i think its pretty much NZs version of ebay. Seller said it was good condition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:05 pm 

Used but well taken care of should still be pretty good. It´s not like it wears out after two years or something like that. I got a 6 year old version (sold it when I got the 50D with the 18-200 IS) used, and it worked perfectly.

It is soft wide open (they all are). But stopped down it was pretty good for what I paid for it (160 US). If you are on a budget you can get it. Like eos550D said... How much are you willing to spend?

Canon EOS 50D | Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II | Canon EF-S 18-200mm IS | Vivitar DF 383 Series 1 | CowboyStudio NPT-04

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:14 pm 
about $500 NZ would be my max, but ild have to be really happy with what i was getting o go that far.

Ive been looking round and it seems the canon is better, or thats what people have been saying, but its still too pricey.

One thing i want to be sure of is that it is going to match or surpass the quality of my 18-55mm kit lens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:11 pm 
When you say

Quote:
surpass the quality of my 18-55mm kit lens

You realise that the 18-55 is sharper and focusses faster (especially in low light where the sigma is f6.3 on the long end and your cameras focus screen is set for a minimum of f5.6)

What do you mean by surpasses the quality? It has a longer zoom, yes, but beware 200mm on these types of lenses isnt really 200mm. If you are focussed in close it will be more like 100mm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:45 pm 
I think his talking about IQ between the two lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:39 pm 
With the sigma 18-200mm zoomed out to between 18-55mm, will this match the kit lens? If not, how noticeable if the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:51 am 
Id think the kit lens would have better image quality. Image quality is what you sacrifice with a mega zoom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:22 am 
how bad of a difference do you recon there is?
Do you have any other lens to recommend? I dont really NEED to have up to 200mm but i would like to have the 18mm WA option

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:08 am 
maybe if you could stretch a little bit more of your budget 55-250mm is probably most often recommended zoom lens. I think 55-250mm has a better IQ compare to 18-200mm.