Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:31 pm 
Hi All,

I am currently using a Dell Precision T3400 workstation with the following confiuration
TO PROCESS PICTURES FROM A 40D

E6400 Dual core processor 3.0 GHZ 6 MEGS CACHE

8 GIGS OF DDR2-800

WINDOWS 7 64 BIT PROFESSIONAL INSTALLED ON A 300 GIG VelociRaptor 16 MEG CACHE DRIVE

PHOTOSHOP SCRATCH DISK ON AN 80 GIG VelociRaptor 16 MEG CACHE

DATA DRIVE FOR STORING PROCESSED PICTURES ON ANOTHER SEPERATE 300 GIG VelociRaptor 16 MEG CACHE DRIVE

(2) DELL U2410 MONITORS

I AM GETTING READY TO PURCHASE A 5DMKII

WILL MY CURRENT CONFIGURATION BE GOOD OR SHOULD I UPGRADE THE PROCESSOR TO A QUAD CORE Q9650 (3.0 GHZ 12 MEGS CACHE) AND AN SSD DRIVE FOR THE O/S....HOW MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE WILL I SEE GOING TO THE QUAD CORE AND THE SSD DRIVE ??

I REALLY CAN'T AFFORD TO BUY A NEW I7 MACHINE AND THE 5DMKII HOWEVER THE UPGRADES TO MY CURRENT MACHINE ARE KINDA IN MY BUDGET...BASICALLY WHAT IT COMES DOWN TO IS...DO I NEED TO BUY A NEW MACHINE IN ORDER TO PROCESS 5DMKII FILES OR JUST DO THE UPGRADES ??
ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED...THANKS IN ADVANCE...SHKJ

sorry about the shouting it was an accident

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:41 pm 

Hi shirschb2,

May I wish you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum.

Does a 40D to 5D2 upgrade require a computer upgrade. No, not really. File sizes will be bigger and you'll see a proportional slow down in DPP and PhotoShop but only for those moments when they are doing intensive work. I'd say get your 5D2 and if you become frustrated by your computer's performance then mark down the summer as a time to look at a Sandy Bridge motherboard/processor/memory upgrade (review).

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:16 pm 

There exists fast quad cores for Intel socket 775 as well, so you could check your computers supported CPU's. Call Dell for accurate details.
(Intel 775 Quad CPU's can be gotten second hand for a fair price btw, I doubt you would notice the difference between a Core 2 Quad and an i7 quad)

Other than that, you have plenty of RAM and your HDD's aren't sloppy, although an SSD would probably feel a little quicker.

However as Bob says, start looking after you get problems not before your not sure if you will get any at all ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:16 pm 
Comparing SSD to Raptor i'd SSD if the money is unlimited although lower price of SSD only have a very limited capacity. If you get multiple raptor HHD like what you have posted two of 300Gb raptor is probably worth of buying 2x10k rpm is enough to read/write/copy/paste massive files. Loading windows 7 with any HHD will be just fine but I prefer Black Cav. Wester Digital its cheap thats why and fast enough for me, this is if your going to separate your winodws 7.

About your processor i'd get quad core instead of dual core it'll help you to do multiple task with slowing down and ofcourse if you get a quad core processor you'll probably need to get a new motherboard as well.

8GB Memory is probably enough, I have Core i5 Quad Core with 4GB memory still having a little laggy because lightroom use a lot of memory usage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:03 pm 
Your current configuration is pretty decent and should be fine for what you're doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:12 pm 

If you're into things happening yesterday, you'll definitely be wanting a boost. Core 2500k CPU - overclock it to 4GHz should push it pretty decent.

My Core i7 920 @ 4GHz still experiences slow downs editing 5DMkII files.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!