Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New here. :)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:53 am 

Hi guys! I'm new here.
And sorry because I'm sure I'm in the wrong forums.

I don't know where should I post my question about Night/Light photography and as far as I can see, this room is safest place to post. :oops:

Anyways, I'm a big fan of photography but I'm no pro. Though, I want to produce nice pictures and Gordon's videos helped me a lot.

Pls answer the following question if its ok. :D I'm planning to shoot some pictures at a Musical Fountain show within this week. (during night time, with dancing laser lights and fountains )

I own a Nikon d3000 with an AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm lens.
Based on Gordon's vid, I need to choose the smallest f-number available and a relatively long shutter speed to record the lights.

I know I should also use the smallest ISO available since I'm using a tripod. And I should choose the M mode.

Now, first question, the lens has a vibration reduction mode. should I turn it off?

Second question. The laser lights are moving, and im sure the fountains will burst randomly. Any suggestions for me to have a good picture? :) Like how fast my shutter speed should be? :) and what f number should i take?

Thanks so much in advance for those who'll reply. :) Thanks!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:09 am 

As you have your camera on your tripod the VR can be turned off.
Because there will be a lot of movement by the water and lights, you should put your camera to at least 1/200 shutter speed I would assume to prevent blurring of lights. And about ISO I have no idea, depends how much light there will be in the fountain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:04 am 

How about you just try it all? Low shutter speed, high shutter speed, high ISO, low ISO?

I had been shooting some fireworks at slow shutter speeds because "everyone did it", but I found that, if I raised the ISO and shortened my sutter speed I coule "freeze" the burning particles in place, which looked pretty cool.

Don't be afraid to experiment :)

Post subject: Thanks thanks thanks
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:13 am 

thanks so much. :)

@Citruspers: Yep. :) I'll try experimenting. :) Just worried about the time limit. :) the show lasts for 30 minutes and I'm afraid I might ran out of time. Good luck to me :)

@WoutK89: yep. thanks! :) I'll try. thanks guys!!!!