Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: finally!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:37 am 
Finally bought a DSLR... a nikon D90.. i was tempted by the d7000, but the slashing of the D90's price really made me think to myself "are the D7000's features really worth the extra 5 or 6 hundred bucks to me?" I answered myself with a "no", and so far i've been very happy with the D90.

I bought it with the 18-105 kit lens, as well as the 50mm f1.8 AF-D lens.

Just thought i'd put up a few pictures i took with it this past weekend so you guys could tell me what you think... any comments or criticisms (especially criticism actually) is very appreciated.

first outdoor photo attempts... all with 18-105

45mm ISO-200 F10 1/60

22mm ISO-200 F11 1/80

And here's an indoor image taken with the 50mm

50mm F2.2 ISO-800 1/20 Handheld

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:38 am 

Congrats on your new camera, and nice shots. Next time, you can post this in the Nikon section, as this is an all Nikon thing ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:47 pm 
love the first photo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:17 pm 
wout- thanks for the info, next time i will!

Kev- Thanks! I really liked that one too... i didn't really think it would be an interesting shot at the time, but then i looked at it on the back LCD and i thought "wow, that's a really cool shot"... kind of like the road less traveled by if you will...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:06 am 

Nice job Joel, I hope that you enjoy your new D90! A fine choice!

Just one suggestion, perhaps you could try doing the shots in portrait as well, I'm not sure if you intentionally did them all in landscape, but I think that some portrait would be interesting.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:55 pm 
Thanks Evan! Yeah, I suppose I could use the portrait orientation more than I have thus far... I just always seem to put the camera to my face in landscape orientation as it's what feels more comfortable, but i could definitely see how the last photo of the christmas tree and dogs could have benefitted from the portrait orientation...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:29 pm 

for a more natural feel you could consider getting the optional battery grip (MB-D80).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:45 pm 
Yeah, ill have to look into that... another quick question is how big should a tripod be in relation to your height? I'm 74" tall, most tripods aren't that tall it seems? are they supposed to be shorter? How much shorter? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:20 pm 

well i dont think there is a rule to tripod height, get your self one that will best suite your photography style. i bought what most people think is a small and light tripod because i need to carry it around the town in public transportation and on foot, but when i extend the mid pole it reaches my eyesight so it was perfect for the need, but when i am on regular holiday i could use something a tougher so the seaside wind wont move it.. so i say its just for what do you need it and how you need it..

add me up on:

flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakica/

deviant art:
http://tbensic.deviantart.com/

----:>bakice ce vladati svjetom<:----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:54 pm 
Well I've read that ideal is eye level without the center column extended, but I don't see many tripods that are 66" without the center column extended? Maybe that's something ill just have to live with?