Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:32 pm 

Gordon, In your opinion are Canon flashes the best option for a Canon camera, let's say a 30D, or is there an aftermarket flash that you prefer to Canon's? Let me know pls and thanks, S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:26 pm 

Hi Shiva,

I was ponderng the same question, when I thought about a flash for my Nikon D80. The one company that I would trust (a had a flash from them) was Metz from Germany. They also have an impressive list of features and should wrok on Nikon and Canon bodies. But you know: flash functions are so complex today and seeing as they offer "BIOS-upgrades" for flashes now, I wanted to be absolutely sure that everything workes out fine (wanting my flash to fulfill the role of remote flash).
So I cowardly decided for the original flash :(

It would be nice to have someone professionally testing flashes, Gordon :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hi guys, I'm thinking of testing some flashes in the future - what sort of things would you like me to look out for?

Shiva, my guess though is, electronically speaking, a manufacturer's own flash is likely to be best-equipped to support all the features of the body. But there could be other benefits to a third party model...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:03 pm 

Quote:
electronically speaking, a manufacturer's own flash is likely to be best-equipped to support all the features of the body.

If that's the case, then this would probably be the best value in canon flashes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:41 am 
Site Admin

If you want the biggest one, Canon recently released a Mark II version of the big 580 EX... then again, if you stick it on a G7, you might have to grip the flash instead of the camera!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:48 pm 
430 EX vs. 530 EX II would be great. I assume not everyone needs the 580EX II, but most need a more powerful flash than the built-in