Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:11 pm 
I recently purchased a Lumix SZ7 and loved it. But I am not sure my window media player could play any .mts files.

1. Are there any *free* AVCHD Lite converter out there?
2. Which popular image format would be best for AVCHD Lite to convert to? (i.e. AVI, MPEG or WMV..etc)

Note from moderator:
    To everyone reading this thread: beware of recommendations from users with only 1 post.
    They might concern legitimate software, but because this thread is basically an open invitation for spammers, they may also be harmful.
    Proceed at your own risk, or better still, follow oldwarbler's or Gran Canaria's recommendations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:43 am 
There's a free version of Prism (free for non-commercial use) from NCH software. I've been using it for a long time and it works very well. You can download it from here
Code:
http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html?gclid=CM7_p9ion6YCFQ2ApAodmkmrmg

The link to the free version is about halfway down the page, on the right, where it says "download the free version from here."

Applications which will play MTS files include

Adobe Flash
Roxio Creator
Cyberlink Power DVD
Cyberlink Power Producer
Sony Motion Picture Browser
Sony Vegas Pro
Corel Video Studio Pro
Corel WinDVD
Grass Valley Edius
VideoLAN VLC media player (which is free and can be downloaded from here
Code:
www.videolan.org

It can play just about any video file format and is highly configurable).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:06 am 
@Roscoe, thanks for the info.

Quote:
http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html?gclid=CM7_p9ion6YCFQ2ApAodmkmrmg

I went to the site but there is no free version for download.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:26 am 
It's there. You probably looked in the wrong place !

I've uploaded it here for you
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?7ugqoci9pldp851

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:14 pm 
Try Handbreak to convert files, just google it to download it, it is pretty popular in the states

Try VLC to run media files. i’m pretty sure it runs anything you need, and it is freeware
http://download.cnet.com/VLC-Media-Play ... 67151.html

Im from the States to check what the legal stance on these programs are in your country

I’m not sure if they are for PC and Mac, but i believe they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:52 pm 
Zolle - MTS is based on MPEG2 Transport Stream, also called AVCHD (Advanced Video Codec High Definition.)

You can use Avidemux, free for Windows, Mac, and Linux, to convert it.

That will convert it to any of the usual formats, including MPEG2-PS (Program Stream), to make Compliant Std Definition or High Definition DVDs. Your PC/Mac needs an HD burner to create HD/Blu-Ray DVDs. A Standard burner will create Std Definition DVDs for NTSC (US, Japan), and PAL (rest of world), TV players and TVs.

It will convert to Standard Compliant MPEG4, H264 (MPEG4 AVC / Advanced Video Codec), Xvid4, and FLV - Flash, suitable for sharing or uploading.

You can use Avidemux to re-size - 1920 x 1080 to 1280 x 720, or to standard DVD format. Also to iPod, iPhone, Sony PS, and other small-frame MP4 player size.

Avidemux will re-sample Audio to 48,000Hz, needed for DVDs, in AC3, AAC, etc, formats.

It has Filters, to adjust video Brightness, Colour, De-Noise, Sharpness, and more. It can change frame-rates - 30fps to 25fps for PAL-DVD, etc.

You can make each setting, then Preview what it will do, without changing the video.

Avidemux can do basic editing, create "fades" at start/end of clips, and Append (join) them.

It will Select/Extract parts of videos in same format, or change the format of selections.

You can use Avidemux to Extract Audio only, from clips, videos or movies.

The kids and young folk here use that to extract the AAC/AC3-etc "good quality" (non MP3) - audio from videos they download from a certain tubular-name site, and others, and from those make *.mp3 and *.ogg files to use in their hand-helds. That, however, might be a "non-approved" activity in some regions, so it would be wise to check legality for region before so doing...

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:25 am 
HandBrake for re-encoding (see my blog about that)
and splash player for the best low computer power player around
http://mirillis.com/en/products/splash.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:43 am 
Does Handbrake convert mpeg files to wmv?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:31 am 
Zolle - WinFF for Windows, does. WMV Generic, also WMV for Web Use,

Dave.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:32 am 
There's several online conversion websites - just google search avchd converter
if you are using mac, you may refer to
http://www.ilikemall.com/how-to/convert-mts-to-mov-mac.html
Not sure if that's what you're looking for though.
Best regards.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:01 am 

:!:
To everyone reading this thread: beware of recommendations from users with only 1 post.
They might concern legitimate software, but because this thread is basically an open invitation for spammers, they may also be harmful.
Proceed at your own risk, or better still, follow oldwarbler's or Gran Canaria's recommendations.

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux