Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:29 am 

Hello everyone!

I have about 8GB in SDHC memory for m D7000, but I can see myself using it up during some trips that I may take in the near future, so I was thinking of purchasing an external HDD to bring along with me. However, I don't really want to bring my laptop PC along with me, and I'm not sure how I would get the pics off the card.

Does anybody know of any external HDDs (Around the 500GB mark for a minimum) that can save files from SDs without plugging it into a PC?

Thanks!

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:53 pm 
I'm in the market for one of these myself.

I've heard good things about the Epson P-7000. You mentioned your looking for 500gb storage, this one only has 160gb and it's $680. There are cheaper ones, but they don't look as slick. They might work just fine.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Stand-Alone-Data-Storage/ci/3369/N/4287966885

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:43 am 

Wouldn't a much cheaper solution be to just get a few extra memory cards? How could 500GB be the minimum? I get something like 800 shots (in RAW) per 8GB card. 500GB would be something like 50000 photos. That would be quite a trip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:26 am 

Thanks for your replies guys!

I didn't realize how expensive these were, it would be cheaper to just bring around a little netbook with me!

The reason that I'd want such a large capacity is because I would probably keep lots of my photos on it, not as a backup but just so that I could have them when I go out.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:10 pm 
If you buy an external drive with a USB socket you can get a USB stick with a card slot. That still leaves the problem of software to do the transfer though unless you use a netbook or media storage device with built in software like the Archos or Epson. It seems to me as others have said you may just as well use a laptop or netbook and an ext HD if the integral disk is not big enough for your needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:22 pm 

Quote:
I would probably keep lots of my photos on it, not as a backup but just so that I could have them when I go out.
How would you use these photos while you are out? If it is just to show a portfolio on a low res small screen then you could just downsize the images for the display reducing the storage requirement. If you want the full size original image then why not store them in the cloud or on a server in your house that you can access over the web. It is highly likely that any location requiring the full resolution image will have internet access.

I suppose it depends if your trips will take you past any libraries or internet cafes that you can use to upload things.

http://keystrokesukimages.com