Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: traveling with a tripod
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:58 am 
i am going to arizone for Christmas break, and i am bringing a carry on for clothes, and a personal for my camera/laptop backpack. i have a tripod that i want to bring, but i dont know if it will go through. it will be strapped to the backpack on the side tripod straps (case logig slrc-206). does anybody know whether or not it will go through?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:03 am 
I took a tripod to China strapped to a Tamrac backpack and had no problems. It depends how big it is when not extended though. If it protrudes too much from the dimensions of the pack you may have a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:05 am 
its only about 3 or 4 inches. problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:13 am 

Hi there, I went to china with a tripot strapped to my lowepro flipside 300 backpack. and I never had any problems in musea, tourist sites, you name it.
For the flight itsef I stored the tripod in my suitcase, beacause airlines can get nervous about these thing in your personal luggage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:45 am 

Do you mean as hand luggage, or in the hold?
Airlines seem to be getting tougher on hand luggage these days.

It's a few years ago now, but while travelling to/around India we obviously didn't take suitcases but large back-packs.

Because they aren't particularly secure we bought some strong canvas material & had kit-bags made (with metal eyelets/hoops around the top, so padlocks & cable ties could be used) which our backpacks went into & never had any problems at airports. 8) In fact we usually got our bags 1st @ baggage collection, because they tended to be unloaded last & put on top of the flatter suitcases by the handlers. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:42 pm 

Quote:
Do you mean as hand luggage, or in the hold?
Airlines seem to be getting tougher on hand luggage these days.

I mean in the hold. I can't imagine why you would want to put you tripod with your hand luggage. Hand luggage for me is luggage I want to keep an eye on and is essential to me. Now a tripod isn't that essential to me that I would want to take it on as hand luggage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:17 pm 

My question was to cgphoto & the OP/thread question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:24 pm 
it wouldnt be checked. i would bring it with my camera bag. attached on the side tripod straps. we are thinking of bringing one big suitcase and checking it in because we have a lot of extra stuff that wont fit. i might see if i can fit it in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:24 am 
i got it through. and now these airplanes have wi-fi!