Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 35  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:41 am 

The D7000 has four buttons to the left of the 3" display: A dedicated menu button, a help and lock button which controls the white balance in shooting mode, a zoom out button which controls the ISO in shooting mode and a zoom in button which controls the file format, size and quality in shooting mode.

Interesting that none of you have a quote button, I'm running Opera and I've always had one.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:20 am 

On topic, the buttons are explained in the manual :roll:

Off topic, the quote "this person" button was removed (where it says edit in your own messages on this forum), you can however click on reply and then add Quote on the menu on top of the reply window.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:57 am 

The quote-button was removed due to excessive use of unspecific quoting of directly preceding posts.
If you like to quote some specific part of a previous post, simply cut and paste with the mouse, then use the "Quote"-button in your answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:12 pm 
6MP is more than enough for a small print of 20" wide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:12 pm 
D40's max resolution is 3008x2000 while the D7000's is 4928 x 3264 which is (despite de huge difference in pixel count) "only" 2/3 more.

So yes, given a good quality glass you're certainly going to capture a significant difference in detail, but not as much as the pixel count might suggest.

Haven't tried it myself, but I've always heard that you can get excellent A3 prints out of the D40, which is about 17'' wide, I can't imagine a 20'' print looking much worse, although I really can't tell if the adjective "stunning" would apply; one thing's for sure, if you're going to look at the prints from a very close range, the greater the detail, the better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:58 pm 
Nice Evan, you've been saying you're getting one long enough!

Cant wait to see what you can do with it in the images section

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:15 pm 

My Canon Powershot's 5MP sensor is just fine for prints.

@jeremy1302, I've already posted many pictures.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:00 am 
Quote:
6MP is more than enough for a small print of 20" wide.

I guess everyone has a subjective definition on what is "good enough". It certainly cannot compare to film. I found the D40 was lacking for prints bigger than letter size. 6mp printed to 20x17's lowers the pixel density quite a bit.

The word stunning means professional level, no loss of detail, etc. You could print a 20x17 with a 1MP cameraphone, but that doesn't mean it'll look great, unless you look at it from 60feet away.

It is very worth nothing that the 16mp of the D7000 is only a modest improvement in resolution over the D40's 6mp, even though in mp it sounds huge.

If you do the math, if you need double the res, you need to quadruple the resolution. So double the resolution means 24mp is needed. Thom Hogan writes a good article explaining max print size.

http://www.bythom.com/printsizes.htm

While the D7000 is not able to print 'film' like quality, I am looking forward to better 20" prints than what I did with my old D40.

The more and more I use the camera, the more I love it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:56 am 
IMO the old adage "a good big'un beats a good little'un still applies" with digital as it has always been with film.
Larger the fomat the more information/tonal range is captured
exactly as with film grain if you have 5 million grains (or with digital)pixels to capture the image the graduation between each tonal variation will be far more abrupt than if you have 20 million to capture the same image.
This also improves apparent sharpness, if small format was as good as larger the market would only have 4 meg cameras but many studios still use 6X6's with digital backs or at least FX cmos's.
IMO bigger is still better. I would love to see the results from a 10X8 Gandolfi with a digital back (if they made one)

Post subject: battery life
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:14 am 
So someone had posted that the D7000's battery could take over 1000 pics so on Chirstmas when going to my folks we didn't bring the charger. I'd taken 300 pics since I opened it a few days before.

Of course in the middle of openning presents the battery light came on and it only took a few more and was done.

It was set to take normal jpegs. In total it took 324. I was pretty sure I charged it all the way... the light wasn't blinking on the charger.

So anyone else have issue with the battery life. I recharged it and will see how long it last this time. Was the person who told me 1000 mistaken? How would I even know if I go a bad battery?

Thanks for the help,
Ally

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:43 am 
Were you using tons of Live View?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:47 am 
well, yes
I take it that will suck up the battery?
makes sense, I just didn't think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:59 am 

On my first day of using it, I got about 150, however I took a couple of videos and I was using the Live View for many shots as I wanted to try out just about everything on the camera. Now, I can get around 700 or 800 shots per charge using little video and Live View, although I delete most of them! :roll:

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:25 am 

At least learned the hard way, it is never bad to take the charger, no matter what the (longest) battery life is that they give you. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:29 am 
yes, I knew better too. Felt like we were taking so much with us I wanted 1 less thing... I picked the wrong thing

I think I'll be getting a second battery and for important events bring the charger also.

THanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 35  Next