Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:00 pm 

Main pro: Beautiful results
Main con: Bad drivers

I received the 9500 MKII today. My impression of the quality of the prints so far is good. However, the drivers are pretty poor (understatement when using on a Mac with LR) plus hard to find the icc profiles for the 3rd party paper etc. I am definitely not a fan of the LR printing module. I think I will try to print using CS or something similar.

A real big problem (for me) is the printer does not have an Ethernet port. I have no room downstairs, so have to plug it in using my Apple Time Capsule upstairs. The problem is, the Canon drivers do not like this very much at all. I had to install them on my Laptop and plug the printer in direct to align the print heads for example, as I could not do this using my desktop connected to the Printer via the Time Capsule. Also, I have no way of telling the ink levels unless I plug the laptop in direct. Hopefully this will be sorted out with a later driver release. Printing seems to be fine with the Time Capsule though, so not the end of the world.

Hopefully you will have an idea of the quality looking at the next 3 pictures. The scanner did not do justice to the colour of the print, as I can assure you it does match pretty much what I have on my screen. The scanner is not high quality….

This is the original:

This is the scan of the print:

This is a 100% crop of the scanned print:

I scanned at 600 dpi. I think I printed at 480 dpi. When you look at the print with the naked eye, it really looks fantastic. When you look at the hi-res scan at 100%, it does not look pretty, however, this is not a problem, as to the naked eye the picture is perfect.

Regarding the different colour of the scan, this is completely down to the scanner, not the print, as the colour was spot on.

So far I have only printed colour. No idea if B&W is any good yet....

Last edited by DP-PARIS on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:34 pm 

Hi DP-PARIS,

Thanks for sharing. And you've just done me a big favour as I hadn't noticed the lack of Ethernet connectivity. :evil:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:04 am 

It is slightly annoying for sure. I can live with it though, but I would definitely like to have it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:17 pm 

It is taking me some time to get to grips with this printer. The biggest problem is definitely the lack of ICC profiles. I have emailed a few companies to find out when they will have them...

I tried printing this one on my old HP printer, but always had problems with the colours. The Canon print is superb, though there is something that I do not like, though just cannot identify. The picture looks to me a little dull, though I do not use the correct ICC profile for the paper, which could be the reason.

This is the original:

This is the scan, again the colours do not match the results I have, though I have plyed with it a bit to get them a little closer to the actual print (at least for my screen, which is calibrated):

This is a crop of the scan at 1200 DPI:

So, I do still like the printer, however, things will improve when I can get the real ICC profiles for the paper I use. They have upgraded the drivers, though I still have problems printing borderless.

Last edited by DP-PARIS on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:02 pm 

A response from Ilford (they were quick), regarding ICC profile support for the PRO 9500 mkII

"
Dear

Thank you for your email and your interest in ILFORD products.
Unfortunately we don't yet have such a printer model in our test lab but we are in the process of reviewing of its features and checking the differencies to the provious model. We'll take a decision very soon.

Kind regards

ILFORD Imaging Switzerland GmbH
Technical websupport
"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:24 am 

So far I have not replaced any cartridges except the gray, which I have had to replace twice. I am investigating to see if this is a problem or not.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:46 am 
Thanks for the info.
I have been thinking of getting back into club work and need an A3 printer the canon has been on my list for sometime as it seems to fit the bill but the cost of all those tanks is a bit off putting I would need to be very selective on what I printed to make it a viable purchase but all the write ups point to it being one of the better A3 printers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:21 am 

They have just announced the Pixma Pro 1 printer. This time they included ethernet, which is great as that was my main fault with pixma 9500 mk 2

Much faster prints too and higher capicity ink cartridges, which I hope will mean cheaper prints. I will keep an eye on this to see if it is worth an upgrade to reduce my print costs.

I wonder if it supports full page printing using fine art paper, as the current 9500 mk II does not (which is so anoying).

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/prin ... ions-49575

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:24 am 

Still does not support full page fine art printing. So disappointing.

¹ Paper types NOT supported for borderless printing: Plain paper, Photo Stickers, Fine Art Paper “Photo RagTM”(FA-PR1), Fine Art Paper “Museum Etching”(FA-ME1), Other Fine Art Paper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:40 pm 

The Ilford profiles are here

http://www.ilford.com/profiles/index_en.asp?type=profile

Canon EOS 30/33 and Pentax MX/ME Super
Rollei 35S

MY FLICKR!