Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Snowdonia Landscapes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:26 pm 
Hi!

First time posting here although I've been looking around a while (although bizarrely only actually registered today!).

I was climbing in Snowdonia a week ago and the light was incredible; some of the best I have ever taken photos in. I just thought I'd post a few of my favourites for critique! Go nuts, bad or good I want to hear your thoughts and any tips to improve! All taken on a Panasonic FZ-38

Cheers

The Snowdon Massif [f5.0, 1/200, ISO 80]

Moel Siabod [f4.5, 1/20, ISO 400 (should have perhaps opened the aperture a bit more or bumped up the ISO, there is the slightest bit of motion blur from the slow speed)]

Some incredible sunset reflections below Snowdon's summit [f3.6, 1/125, ISO 80]

Looking North from just below Snowdon's summit [f6.3, 1/200, ISO 80]

Some more incredible reflections; this time of Yr Aran [f2.8 (don't ask me why, that was a mistake....), 1/320, ISO 80]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:23 am 

#1 doesn't really have much going for it in terms of composition, too much is included

#2,3,4 are all very nice, especially #3 due to undulating shoreline and clouds and colors.

#5 not a very tight composition.

Someone had posted pictures of this region before here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtop ... fa42a1f369

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:57 am 
Cheers for your feedback!

I agree about the first one. It was such a stunning view from where we were stood that it was difficult to think how to capture it well enough. The photo below was from the same position and is basically just a zoomed in version of the one below (on camera, not digitally). Although the mountains become much more prominent, it seems to take a bit of the scale out. But then the one above doesn't really do that either..... Any thoughts as to how the composition could have been improved?

Also, for the last photo I was jsut wondering what you meant by the composition not being very tight? Is that in reference to trying to take in too much in one go? I know I clipped the top of the mountain off in the reflection which is annoying and I should have spotted that, but I quite like the way the frame is filled and the hill in the foreground and the bank on the left draw you in to the view of Yr Aran. But again, any recomposition tips/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:20 pm 

Nice ones mate!

I'd increase the saturation of the 3rd shot, I think that will bring out the sky and reflections a bit more. Perhaps also warm it up a bit, see how that turns out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:32 pm 
Nice work,

Really liked 5. Awesome reflection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:10 am 

speed12 wrote:
Cheers for your feedback!

either..... Any thoughts as to how the composition could have been improved?

For #1
I feel that bottom portion of the image appears to be forming a blunted triangle shape, yet it is too cropped. The sky while nice and blue does not has a hard time complementing the land below, the sky basically forms a strip that takes up 2/3rds of the photo but land below might be more interesting to focus on. This composition may be better as a 4x5 or perhaps even square ratio as opposed to the ~21:9 ratio.

speed12 wrote:
Also, for the last photo I was jsut wondering what you meant by the composition not being very tight? Is that in reference to trying to take in too much in one go? But again, any recomposition tips/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

The image would be benefited by taming the contrast of the sky versus the water. It is a nice symmetry scene, however perhaps a zoom and pan to the left might be a better image. The tree on the left hand side is very interesting (but is cut off in your photo) and could include the distant snow covered mountains. Kind of like this:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:00 pm 

#3 and 5 are looking great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:33 pm 
Capital,

Thanks for that incredible edit! How on earth did you do it?!?!

I just had a look back at the original photo and remember why it was cropped quite tight. There was some reeds in the foreground (bad framing on my part) that looked rubbish so I cropped the image up to block them out. This unfortunately made the framing quite tight, otherwise it would have looked very similar to yours. I'll have to get some better (well....proper, I only use iPhoto!) editing software and then I might be able to take the reeds out....possibly....