Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:38 pm 
Hey all,

I am a beginner in photography, started about a month ago. Just found out about this forum, and I must say, it's amazing.

I have a D3000 with 2 lens (stated on my signature). I do have a flashgun SB-600. For all this time, I've been using it without any manual settings applied to it. (literally, I just turn the flash on when I need it).

So, any advanced users out there, can you tell me what does each of the function do? I can't really find anything related to it on youtube...

Your advice are greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Nash

Last edited by nash160 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:37 pm 

This is exactly what the manual is for

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:47 pm 
Umm care to elaborate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:52 pm 

"Manual" referred to "user manual", not "manual settings". He's telling you to read the user manual: http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/Speedlights/SB-600.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:25 pm 
I just need to know the basic manual settings for using the flash. I have no time to read through 90 pages of wall of texts :( as I have many more important things to do as I'm in my uni life...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:09 pm 

So basically you are saying we should read the manual, and summarize it for you in a "ready-to-digest, no-chewing-required" package?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:38 pm 
I don't want to makes thing worse here but your acting rather selfish.

your more important things then obviously take priority and users here, like
Citruspers said, are not going to do that work for you.

we are all here as a community, giving free advice to genuine problems is out of our free time so spare a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:11 pm 
Sorry if it seems rude & if I'm acting selfish here. But I'm not tbh.

What I'm asking is from your experience in using flashes, rather not from the manual. More like tips.. I have played around with the flash, but I really don't get it...

Again, I'm sorry if you think of it that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:35 am 
i didn't take it that way at all nash160-- wish i could be more of a help but i've never used an sb600.

Obviously reading the manual will help.. but i think he's just looking to get a basic idea based off the ways that other people use it? For instance from simply fiddling with cameras and reading how other people use them and how they work i've been able to figure out DSLR cameras without ever reading a user manual (not to say i wont at some point to locate more advanced functions) but i think he's saying he's just lacking a basic understanding of how the flash works and what's the best way to utilize it... maybe someone can share their experience or point him towards a link?

Sorry i can't be more of a help...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:42 am 
If you're interested in learning by video and not adverse to paying a little money, you might try the Blue Crane Digital "Understanding the Nikon Speedlight: SB-900, SB-800, SB-600" DVD for around $20 USD on Amazon.

I got a Magic Lantern DVD about my camera about a year ago because I wasn't exploring many of the functions and I had lots of, "Oh! that's what that does!" moments as I watched it. It gave me the foundation that then made the manual make sense.

They'll go through the functions step by step slowly, and make it very clear how to use things and why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:47 am 

$20USD?!? That's the equivalent of a bit more 'work' down the pub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:46 am 

The magic lantern DVDs are excellent IMO, although I don't recall them ever making a DVD or a book for that matter on any type of flash. As Jenny recommended, the Blue Crane Digital DVD for flash would work, although remember that there are alternatives. I think that instead of learning what your SB-600 can do, you should learn how to work with flash in general. For example, you wouldn't buy a Nikon D3000 DVD hoping to learn what shutter speed or aperture is, you would buy it to learn how to control the shutter speed or aperture.

Personally, I don't know much about flash. I know some basic techniques, such as using a bounce flash (Bouncing your flash off a roof or a wall to get a less harsh look if you weren't already aware of that) by tilting the head, although I'm not any expert on the manual controls of flash, I really could only operate a Nikon SB-400 without any problems!

I found an interesting website here explaining flash, and how to do some manual work.

Hope that I helped!

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:24 am 

I wasn't joking in my manual comment, seriously. Once you know how to set the flash, you can start playing around with the settings. Trust me on this one, it's a long read, but well worth it.