Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:11 am 

Just playing around with 3 of my first 360 panoramas in Dubai so far.

This should make more sense than posting flat .jpgs of 360 panos!

I know I need to clean up some of the flaring, but quite happy with the way they look. Have a look at the link and let me know what you guys think...

Flat photos don't give you a proper idea - this gives you an idea of how much you need to crane your neck to see the top of the Burj Khalifa!

http://www.vpix.net/index.php?tour=2111

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:19 pm 
fascinating

I've been to the Burj Khalif fountain and the Dubai Mall and those panoramas are a very good reminder of my experiences.

The detail is impressive. What lens did you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:27 pm 

Hi Ivandegi

How did you find Dubai?!? It was with the 8mm fisheye - 6 shots at 60 degree intervals, 1 shot straight up and 2 shots straight down...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:03 pm 

Absolutely brilliant. Fantastic detail too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:30 pm 
@phil
dubai was amazing! I wish I had more time there... 3 days were not enough.
I look forward to posting some pictures, even though they're not as good as yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:02 am 

+1 to the above Phil, Dubai looks like an amazing place. I looked up fisheye lenses and appear quite cheap, am I right in thinking this, what software do you need to produce panorama's.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:14 am 
That is a really great result. I'm curious, you say 6 shot at 60 degree intervals. I'm assuming you could do this to higher detail with more shots? for example 12 shots at different degree intervals, would you need a difference lens.

If the lens wasn't such a small focal length could this be done with a more natural 360 feel. I'm not knocking your shots but they have some degree of distortion or is that the nature of viewing them on a flat screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:10 am 

Thanks for the comments

@4xxxx - my Samyang is much cheaper than the Nikon alternative, and just as good really. It's manual focus and exposure, but that's not an issue. Software was PTGui

@RageRiot - you can use whatever focal length you want, but there are a few trade offs as with most things. If things are moving in shot (like clouds) it's easier to cover a good 360 with as few shots as possible. The trade off is resolution when you zoom in. Also, less shots = more accurate and easier stitching. Try PTGui trial software and see how long it takes to stitch 6 shots, then 10, then 30. If I use my Sigma 10-20 on an internal panorama, you can be talking up to 80 shots to cover 5 exposures per shot for full HDR. Compare that with 45 for the fisheye. That's at 10mm. Imagine at 20, 35 or even 50mm. The next issue is Depth of Field - an 8mm Fisheye at F11 has everything bang on from 0.5 metres to infinity, so it's ideal where there are subjects near and far.

You can go as long as focal length as you want (check out www.gigapan.org for monstrous panos) but you need some serious processing power!

The other issue is tripod heads. You'd need a panoramic head ideally, which can cover the full sphere. The best for value and quality is the Nodal Ninja range, but if you want to mount a 70-200 you'll need a Nodal Ninja 5 which costs a few $, still not as much as Manfrotto or other offerings.

The Burj Khalifa shot took 45 seconds to shoot, from pressing the first shutter button, which is ideal really. If I were using a 10-20 at 10mm it would take 2-3 minutes and longer focal lengths take much more time.
I think there's a current world record 80Gigapixel (that's quite big) 360 panorama of london which has just hit the press - that required a seriously long lens, a Gigapan Epic motorised head and several weeks to take the shot! That's before processing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:08 pm 
The picture is amazing, especially at the tower, the shining of the sun gives a very peaceful impression!

I have been taking many photos to be stitched, but I didn't really find the time to do it. Well done, though!