Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:23 pm 

Well, i thought i drop by and say something. :)

For me I would go for 70-200 F/2.8L or F/4L any day.
Because the 100-400mm lens are petty heavy.
it heaver than my 7D. when i use it last time(Friend lens).
After a 1-2 hour of walking the lens start to take a effect and
i got a sore arm for a night. :(

when you come to Cambodia don't forget to come on November 20-22
the Water Festival coming up and a lot Cambodia will come to P.P.
We might come across each other(who know). :D

P.S you should come a day or two before water festival,because of price
for hotel will go higher on 20-22. :D

Have fun with the pick. :D

Canon Speedlite 480EX II + Tripod+ B+W MRC (2x77+67), hoya HD UV (77) B+W MRC 77mm(CPL slim+10 ND).

Post subject: Got the 2.8 L II
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:02 pm 
Thanks to all for the recomendations...I did bite the bullet, and got the 70-200 mm f2.8 L ( NEW Model)....Weighs like a mofo!!!! Lets see what can we do with it...Kinda bumm that delaying the trip because of Mount Merapi and Bromo, in Java!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:07 am 
If you have not left already :lol:

Getting the teleconverter is a good idea :) Asia is filled with lots of fascinating wild life, although im no expect in this but ill assume you don't always be able to get as close as you wish to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:18 am 

Sounds like an amazing trip. I visited Hanoi, Ha Long, Siem Reap and Bangkok last year (DSLR skills not up to much at the time, but I feel as if I've improved a bit and can do the places more justice when I next visit).

It sounds as if you've got all the bases covered. A couple of things I would add to your bag though:

lightweight tripod (if you're travelling to the temples at Angkor that will be useful - sunrise is not to be missed)
cleaning cloths (lots of them, as the humidity in the early mornings could mean you'll miss a shot otherwise)
small torch (again, if you're up early around the temples, you'll need one to watch your step)
insect repellant (or you could be eaten alive)

Hanoi is street photography heaven. I found that I never went above 105mm - you could get away with light walkabouts with the 15-85, but I'd carry that 70-200 with you for more candid stereotypical shots (scooters, market stall owners, women walking around with conical hats etc)

There are a few places where you'll be inside (like the famous prison) where a 1.4 could be useful as well.

Halong Bay - awesome if you get good weather. A lot of people on another forum suffered the same fate as me (i had slight haze, but others have had thick fog). You'll have everything covered with what's in your bag but might like a tripod again as you haven't got a fast wide angle for the caves if you visit.

Cambodia - pips the lot, I think! Awesome people, beautiful country, and those temples have to be seen to be believed! I'm planning an 8 day trip in 2011 to try to do the place justice and really take my time. I took a 70-300mm with me last time and never used it. I was using an 18-105mm kit lens which covered just about everything, although I wish I could have gone wider with some of the temples (14-24 Nikkor will definitely be with me next time)

A very useful guide for all things Cambodia as a traveller is:

www.canbypublications.com/siemreap/srhome.htm

That link takes you to Siem Reap, but there are links to everywhere else in the country as well.

Have a fantastic time but please don't make me too jealous!