Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:26 pm 
Why is there virtually no mention of the G2 on this site, no official thread, no full review. And yet this is a significant model. Explanations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:29 am 
Site Admin

I can't review every model, and if we had stickies for every camera, the forum would be unusable! I do try and cover most Lumix models though.

Post subject: Panasonic G2
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:09 am 
Gordon:

Thanks for responding. But, it seems to me that the G2 was, and is not , just "every camera." It was the first Lumix G series with video, touch screen, articulated LCD and large EVF all in one package. I find it difficult to understand how you can review both the FZ40 and the FZ100 separately when they are variations on the same camera and ignore the G2 which has many distinctions from its replaced predesessor, the G1, which you did review.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jim, you're assuming that I can get hold of any camera in NZ - sadly I cannot.

The G2 is not available for me to review at the moment.

The FZ40 and FZ100 were reviewed by my freelancer in the UK, and are much much bigger sellers than the G2, so as a business we also have to prioritise the most popular products to pay the bills.

Post subject: Panasonic G2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:28 am 
Gordon:

I'm sorry and appalled that Panasonic can't make a camera available to review by Camera Labs, one of the top on-line Photo Sites, whether you're in New Zealand or the moon for that matter. In the cyber world location is generally irrelevant.

As a side issue, another major site in its micro 4/3 forum has little G2 commentary which someone questioned, not me. Many rushed to respond that the reason there was so little G2 "action" was that there were no problems whereas so much of the forum had to do with problems or complaints.

Anyway, I love my G2 and I sincerely wish that somehow you'll be able to get a sample before it's replaced by a "G3."

By the way I'm surprised at the sales situation you described. Were you quoting worldwide standings or specific regions?

Again, thanks for responding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:08 am 
Jim, I’m pretty sure that the FZ range of Lumix cameras would out-sell the Micro Four Third cameras by a VERY large margin.
The Micro Four Third cameras are aimed more at the enthusiast camera market whereas the FZ range is a general bridge camera with wide appeal.
In my part of the world, most Panasonic retailers are not keeping Micro Four Third cameras in stock at all. Basically one has to order them specifically.
The FZ45 & FZ100 are freely available and the retailers seem to have plenty of stock.
Regards

Post subject: More G2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:23 pm 
Gordon and Dbnet:

Obviously I have no valid response to Gordon's inability to obtain a G2 to review. That's between Panasonic's marketing Dept. and Gordon's capacity and/or willingness to make waves.

But quoting sales or potential sales as a valid excuse to by pass a product misses the point of reviews in the first place. When reviews of new products are being prepared there are no sales to speak of , only hopes. People go to reviews to find out about new products and to try and determine if it's something they want. This site did a "preview" of the GH2 which still is in very few hands.

In Camera Lab's review of the G1, Highly Recommended by the way, the only major negative was the lack of video capability. So the G2, a major upgrade in many different ways, met this negative. That alone would seem to validate a preview or review.

It's probably too late now but I have to wonder what would have happened if Gordon had gone "public" on the site back in July saying we would love to review the G2 but have been unable to obtain one. In effect, blowing the whistle on Panasonic.

The G2 is hardly an elitist obscure camera. Most review sites have covered the model, many of whom are inferior or of lesser import than Camera Labs. And, Oh yes, Popular Photography, the leading US Photo magazine, has it nominated for Camera Of The Year along with the Canon Rebel T2i, Sony Alpha 55, and Nikon D3s.

I'm disappointed because I enjoy the exhaustive treatment that this site affords its review subjects. I think you missed an important one.