Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:56 pm 
Auto - no PP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:59 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:01 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:17 pm 
Hey there. Nice surrounding, though leaving the photos as they were shot in camera, usually means that they are not exactly that attractive... The compact has its problems with colour reproduction, which could be improved in post processing. Putting the date by the camera makes them however look very amateurish, even though the composition is quite ok mostly :)

Don't get me wrong, but you have to be aware of the fact, that for 90% of the time, most of the final effect is achieved by post processing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:03 pm 
Quote:
The compact has its problems with colour reproduction, which could be improved in post processing. Putting the date by the camera makes them however look very amateurish, even though the composition is quite ok mostly

Thanks Carloz. Agreed and point taken. My goal here is to show what the SX30IS produced straight out and the intention is to reshoot manually and PP.

...I'll drop the date stamp :oops: :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:51 pm 
Howzit - The SX30 has been out for a while, now, so CHDK for it should be available soon. That will give you RAW, which even in a P&S with a 1/2.3 sensor, has more information, so more adjustment leeway, for PP. It might also lift the 1.3fps Continuous Shooting speed, hopefully.

It's a bit odd that Canon didn't put RAW ability in the SX30 - with the exception of Nikon's P100, most Bridge Cameras now have RAW. (It isn't that Canon "can't do it" - the SX1 has RAW and 4fps.)

That does "make a difference", though of course a small-sensor P&S RAW can't be compared with even a crop-body 12+ times larger sensor.

I have a Canon SX10 and a Fuji HS10 - and while the HS10 does "quite adequate snaps" in JPEG, the SX10 when saving at the Superfine option, beats it on IQ. The "detail in shadows" is particularly noticeable.

The HS10's "Fine" JPEGs (they're both 10Mpix sensors) - are very similar to the SX10's "mid" option, "Fine". Both save at about 2.5-5MB file size. However, in the "less JPEG artifacting" Superfine, the SX10 does JPEGs up to 8-9MB.

Note that CHDK for SX30 will probably return the Superfine JPEG level, as it does with the SX20 - and that's very worthwhile having.

With the HS10, particularly at longer zoom levels, I tend to have it on a tripod for better results, and use RAW + JPEG. It does have 4-way Stabilising - but at long zoom, the tiniest movement makes the difference between a sharp clearly detailed image, and a 'snapshot'.

Compared with the SX10, the HS10 isn't an easy camera to use and get good results, but once you learn how to "tell it what to do", results are good. It does have a very good Manual mode, and excellent MF (which works in all modes, including Auto.)

It is also very good at higher ISOs - ISO-1600 is still in "normal images" range, with little "cleaning-up" to do - and in really low light, images at ISOs 3200 and 6400 are "usable" - more for onscreen and sharing - if the display size is reduced.

However, while the HS10 does both Std and Full HD, as the "controls" are "Auto" - limiting either to short clips is best - the SX30 beats it hands-down on Video Control!

Dave.