Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:58 am 
Hello all,
New member post here, so thanks for all the info on the website and the reviews which have been helpful when choosing cameras over the last few years, but I'm a bit stuck with a slight issue at the moment so any feedback appreciated...

My query is:
Do most DSLRs have issues with zooming during filming video, or does this vary between manufacturers or lens types to some degree? as some test footage I've seen looks jerky when zooming.

Basically, I'm interested in buying a mid-range SLR which is fast, compact with good HD video and an APS sized sensor. So I've been looking at the Sony a33/a55 and Canons up to 60D level.

I know some DSLRs can have overheating issues/short clip lengths, but I tend to shoot short clips and then stitch them together afterwards so this isn't really a major concern.
Many thanks,
Pete.
:)

ps. I shoot about 75% stills to 25% video using compacts & superzooms at present and have used 35mm film SLRs over time but not DSLRs as yet. I'm not really interested in camcorders because of the small sensors & still image quality constraints etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:20 pm 
Zooming with DSLR's are mostly done by hand - which is why it can seem to be jerky, it is hard to have a completely fluid turn on the zoom ring. However, professional filmmakers / people who shoot a lot with DSLRs seem to overcome this by using a rig, that mechanically zooms for you. I believe Gordon had a post about video's and DSLRs which included a guide/gear page for different setups - I just can't seem to find it.

Edit:

It was just a few posts down. :)

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24033

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:58 pm 
Hi Peteaarhus,
Ok, many thanks for your reply and for clarifying that point for me.

I'll have a look for that post you mentioned.

Pete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:58 am 

While the camera body you use will not affect it, some lenses can be easier or harder to zoom and focus. Don't expect a 99$ lens to be as fluid as a 10'000$ lens, for example.