Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:25 am 
Hi everyone,

I am fairly confident that I will be getting a Jobu Design Gimbal Head for my Canon 100-400mm lens. The "Junior 3" model specifically lists the 100-400 lens, so I shouldn't have to worry about overloading it. As I research it, I have found a few other options that I am considering, but the Jobu is in the lead.

The Flashpoint brand has equivalent, and slightly cheaper models, but they do not seem to be rated as highly by online reviewers. I see a lot of reviews citing breakage, sagging, etc.

The Wimberly gimbal head itself is out of budget right now. I am looking at their gimbal attachment arm that would attach to a ball head. I'd need to buy a ball head too then. It seems to me the dedicated gimbal would be more stable... your thoughts?

I do use the battery extender grip on my camera, and the Jobu website itself warns against that configuration as it may impede the range of the swinging arm. Would that be a vote in favor of another brand/model?

I'm planning on using it for hiking in the desert mountains to get more stable pictures of big horn sheep in the distance mounting it on a monopod for ease of travel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:51 am 

I would pick Wimberly Sidekick + Arca Swiss Monoball Z1 SP (max load: 60Kg) if this is another alternative. Maybe a bit pricey but those stuff are very well built!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:14 am 
Site Admin

The Wimberly does seem to be the top dog for this kind of thing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:15 am 
Thanks, Don.

That is a pricey ball-head, and I do have to say, I can't imagine ever having the equipment to need support for 130lb! However, would that configuration work well with the battery grip attached? That's a pretty important feature for me as I always use the grip.

One thing I notice is that Wimberly considers lenses around 3lb to be "smaller zooms" and they suggest that it might actually be too light on the Sidekick to balance properly with a heavier camera set up (i.e. with the vertical grip), which I don't understand perfectly, but it must have to do with the location of the tripod collar in relation to the center of gravity.

There isn't any such warning on the Wimberly Gimbal Head itself...

It's definitely something to consider, since I would then essentially have two possible heads for configuration choices, but if I did that, I might have to wait until after Christmas. And it looks like I have to figure out how well it will work with my current set up.

Edit: Gordon, would that be the monster Wimberly head itself or the Sidekick add-on? (Or just the brand in general?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:21 am 
Site Admin

The brand in general - I haven't tried them myself but I've seen lots of high-end folk using them and judging from their discussions, they're the best for that kind of thing. But yes, they are expensive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:29 am 
So I guess the thing to do is to break it to friends and family, "Instead of giving you gifts this year, I opted to buy a tripod head..."