Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Olympus E-410
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:38 am 
Hi everyone :)
I know this not is the way it works, but i wolud like to encourage any user who owns an Olympus E-410 to write a review. I have taken a shine to that particular camera, and are seriously thinking about buying it
I would like to hear the good and the bad, what works, what dont? and if you would advice it to someone who "only" has owned P&S cameras before?

Greetings Morten. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Morten, welcome to the Cameralabs forums - some good news is ahead of PMA at the end of the month, Olympus has just dropped the prices of the E-410 and E-510. Bear in mind new models could be launched within two weeks though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:42 pm 

Gordon and mortenmb,

Yes, we feel the wait: fewer posts before the bang of new products announcements :!: Or is it because all the dollars (or the euros) have been spent on X-mas :) ?

After PMA, two strategies:
  • wait for the review of the new products, pick one and go for it
  • or purchase at discounted price one product of the previous generation (well, actually not so old, between 6 and 12 months), with all the user feed-back available to make the right choice!

Up to you :!:

Since I'm a Pentax K10D user, I couldn't provide a feed-back of that camera. Have you tested it on your very hands :?:

Best regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:48 pm 
I have to admit I bought the Olympus E510 for a bargain saving myself £170.00 from the likes of Jessops. I had a feeling Olympus would be bringing out a new DSLR with such a difference of price ranges from different suppliers.

I looked at the Olympus E410 and it looks a good camera and I am sure there will be a good deal to be had.

All the best on your purchase..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:11 pm 
Hi Gordon, Olympus-Geoff, and rei_vilo.
Im glad that you took the time to write me.
to Gordon: I didnt know PMA was here soon, but i hope this lovely site will keep udpating the news from PMA? I hope Olympus sends out some new models, then this nice E-410 will drop in price :b (I dont think it has dropped yet in my country)
to rei_vilo: I think you are right with your strategies. I will only buy a "new" model, if it brings advantages, for a small price :O
to Olympus-Geoff: I hope to see some offers on the E-410, but i'm thinking of bying it in USA, because im going there to summer, and as long as the dollar is low, i can get a prette good deal :)

Ps. Im still looking for a review of the E-410, I hope somebody is willing to write one :)

Morten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Morten, it's just occurred to me that you may not have seen our own review of the E-410 - it's here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/OlympusE410/

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:59 am 
Thanks Gordon, but believe me, a have read it a LOT of times! :)

One of the things i especially like about your reviews, are that you compare the reviewed camera to others in the same group in the end! And also your video reviews, they are professional, and very informative!

But as newer cameras comes along, you would wish they also could be compared to older cameras (Fx. E-410 - 400D (xti))
I know it means a LOT of work to compare so many cameras, but there are some models which surely will be compared by a great percentage of the readers, and they may be worth comparing :)
That is just my thought of how to make these excellent reviews even better :)

Morten.

Post subject: E-410
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:11 pm 
I just got a E-410 from the duty free Dixons in Edinburgh Airport (i hate Dixons) but it was £280 including the the lense.
I was looking at the E-400 but could not get it at a good price, so was going for the Pentax K100 super.
Anyway - I got it.

Im quite happy a the moment - although there are a few niggles.
I'll write more in a few weeks when I have used it more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 pm 
I's already looking forward to that :)
BTW: What are those few niggles?

Morten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:31 pm 
Well its my first SLR

The Niggles:
The only flash Gun is an olympus one, and its pretty expensive.

The the USB Cable has a proprietary connection to the camera,
so if i lose it, i have to buy a new one rather than use a standard one.

When on Auto settings, and trying to take a photo using the built in flash,
the Flash goes off (for the red eye) but it goes off about 12 times, over 8 seconds, and eventualy takes the picture. Its irritating.

I would rather the camera took AA batteries, than the proprietary battery.
(the battery life is good though.)

But as i said, just niggles.

But I got it because
Its small & the Screen works for framing pictures, - My wife to be likes that (we are getting married in 2 weeks).

Its light and small and I/we do a lot of outdoor activities, to it should be easy to carry/store. (we are going Nordic skiing for the Honeymoon)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

I wonder if Olympus will replace the E-410 and E-510 at PMA... either way, there's some bargain prices on both at the moment...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:20 pm 
Im sorry to hear about the flash-thing, but its just a small "problem" :)
btw: when you have used it some more, would you mind typing a small review? :b

Gordon, i believe PMA has begun today ;) and i have kept checking cameralabs.com, and man, the 450D sounds like a seriously nice camera! :)
But what do you think is going to happen with olympus?
im sort of dissapointed that there has been no new releases (DSLR) :/
But i hope something new soon will arrive!

Morten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:13 am 
I love mine. I was a P&S gal for years. It was just easier while bicycling and then when I had the kids. I got frustrated with the lack of control on the P&S. But I hated lose that compact size that slipped in my pocket.
The 410 is a great size for me and the photos have been wonderful. I am still learning to use all of the features so I don't feel qualified to review the camera. One thing, if I could do it again, I would skip the kit lens. I thought I would be happy for a year or more with them but only last a few months before I upgraded the longer zoom. Now I am itching to upgrade the shorter one as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:06 am 
what do you mean? are the kit lenses bad? :/
i have heard the excact opposit?
I seriosly concider the double lens kit :)

and i understand you dont want to write the review, i apreciate all you write :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:13 pm 

The olympus kit lens in actual fact has recived VERY good reviews, in fact, rated better than the nutty kit lenses that come with the 400d and the D40x. One of the main reasons is that the actual 4/3 standard offers 28-84mm, and 80-300mm (35mm equivalent) and thats some very small lenses that olympus offer as well for that kind of bang.

The best part, they dont turn when it focuses, I use polariser filters, I dont want stuff that turns.

Last and not least, more responsive compared to the kit lenses on the canon and nikon. Side by side, if your olympus came with the same lenses the canon and nikon came with, you'd upgrade to the Zuikon lenses olympus offers for thier cameras. for the price, they are a bargain too.... only catch? They are not fully made of metal, and not the pro range (dust and splash proof)

Just my 2 cents though

Leo

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net