Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Hello everyone and welcome to On Assignment, the section of Cameralabs where you get to share your photographic skills with the world!

History
During October 2007, Cameralabs forum member Luis suggested a regular section where members could submit a photo based on a theme. Following the first two themes we decided to formalise the idea here. Many thanks to Luis, Daniel (DD_nVidia) and everyone else who's made suggestions and of course contributed to the assignments so far.

Prize
The winner will receive a free copy of our Wildlife Photography eBook, a downloadable PDF worth $9.97 which you can read on computers, laptops, tablets,
iPads, phones, or anything which can open a standard PDF file! You'll find more details here.

Rules
1. You can only submit one picture, and it should be no longer than 1024 pixels on it's longest side.
2. The picture must be taken anytime in the last six months.
3. Exercise good judgement about what is appropriate on our forum (see our Forum Rules for more information).
4. Please include a sentence or two describing your picture or the process of taking it, and share some technical info such as the camera, lens, settings and processing.
5. If you have any questions, comments or pictures older than six months, please post them in the June Comments and Questions thread.
6. Submissions will close at midnight GMT on the last day of the month, after which you can vote for your favorite entry. Good luck!

Also
To keep things fair, please don't ask friends to register and vote for you. We welcome new members, but not ones who are only here to boost the votes for a particular member. If we observe any cheating in this regard, the submission will be disqualified.

Feel free to also suggest themes for forthcoming assignments in the suggestions thread!

Any questions, fire away!

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:37 pm 

I have not snooped here, in this section, and Gordon, I have a question... are we allowed to use photos from the past, or photos taken in the "month" of the competition? If you have already addressed this, then forgive me for not diggin around to find the answer....

My choice, is that I will submit only photos that are taken within the month of the competition...so, it may be awhile before you see me enter again...(!).

best to you,

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:01 pm 

Nice Q Patti!
If you interpret Gordon to the letter it means you have to make a new photo. Honestly, I didn't "feel" that this was a rule, so perhaps there needs to be some clearification from the "Chairman"!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

Good question! I'd say it's fine to submit a photo you've taken previously, although as the creator of the contests, I'm happy to give the final word on this to Luis...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:43 pm 

I was just wondering, because my take on it (and I know I am oft times WAY off base) is this:

On Assignment means to me, that the assignment is to go out "as an assigned task" and capture the monthly theme, within the working time frame...until the cut off date..

My selfish side, WANTS it to be all-time encompassing, retro in nature..mostly because I have some great photos layin around, just waitin for the next theme, and I am never sure what tomorrow will bring...shuffleing thru the photos, does not make me stretch...it makes me feel like I have a good enough one to submit, somewhere in those files, so why bother pickin up the camera...I will use what I already have...

The driven side of me, says the challenge is for the day...where can we take our cameras, mindful of the assignment theme, twist and tweak it to our own personalities, and produce a photo that is worthy of competition?Basically, I am gonna wuss out on this, and wait for Luis to cast his vote....I am happy either way, confessing I love the challenge of the forward looking theme. Advancing in our abilities...knowing the rest of our compadres on every continent, are stealthily doing just the same...Looking for that next image, the one that will stir the heart, and please the eye, provoke a thought, make us all say WOW!! Or in my case, just plain old get us out there using our cameras.

Resting on my laurels...
I am with ya, either way.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:29 pm 
I'm with patti on this one. The spirit of the thing is to go out there and put your mind and your gear to work, to deliver a photo for the given theme.

My suggestion would be to clarify, stating that the photo has to be taken within the timeframe of each assignment.

So, let the January assignment run its course and then state the clarification, effective February onwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:37 pm 

Whoops. In that case we must avoid any weather related seasonal themes given the differences between the northern and southern hemispheres, not to mention equatorial regions.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:10 am 

Bob, I thought about that, too, how could Luis incorporate all the different longitude and latitudes...when ever the next winner decides the theme, if they are looking for "weather or not" photos, it could just be "weather in your world".. when I am sweating in 105 weather, and Australia is cold and snowy, why, that would just be the flip side of weather..might be fun to see what the same day, around the world, looks like..or the same month rather..when weather is the theme.

Personally, I always wonder how Christmas can be in Summer...lol..but Christmas is Christmas, even if you are having the holiday at the warm beach...instead of wraped in red wool suits.
My goal is to take a photo a day, within the theme parameters, and see if I can make ONE that would be worth your review, and critique..and that will be a chore in itself!!

sorry for the can of worms..I shudda just shuddup, and submitted the photos.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:06 am 
WHat are the rules for voting? I notice you can vote for your own work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:09 am 

Easy: everybody has only one vote!
You can cast your vote as you like...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:19 am 

Quote:
WHat are the rules for voting? I notice you can vote for your own work.

Thank goodness!
Great opportunity to learn and have some fun- I'm in!

How 2 the signature below?
In your profile signature, click on BBCode ( linked under options ) and read up!

Visit MrCliff on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:40 pm 

Thanks Gorden for share best pics for new comers,

Thanks for best Luck,