Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lens Comparison
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:45 pm 
I was reading pgtips reason why he switched to Pentax and thought I'd post my observations here as well.

Before finally deciding on my 1st DSLR someone suggested I put together a lens kit for each. My requirements were an allroaund f2.8, an f4 telephoto zoom and a 50mm prime. I had no idea beforehand what each manufacturer could provide.

This is what I came up with:

PENTAX
$ 750 Pentax 16-50 f2.8
$1,188 Pentax 60-250 f4
$ 617 Pentax 55mm f1.4
$2,555 TOTAL

CANON
$1,000 Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM
$,1150 Canon 70-200 f4L IS USM
$ 300 Canon 50mm f1.4
$2,450

NIKON
$1,500 Nikkor 17-55 f2.8 (no VR)
$?,??? (please insert equivalent 70-200 f4 telephoto lens)
$ 450 Nikkor 50mm f1.4G
$1, 950 TOTAL (without telephoto lens)

If I add the the 70-300 f4.5-5.6 VR for $500 the price is similar ($2,450) but I do not know how the quality compares to the Penatx or Canon telephoto zooms. Also the 17-55 f2.8 has no image stabilization. (for the f2.8, Tamron 17-50mm VC could be used for both Canon or Nikon @ $600).

As I struggled to get the Nikon lenses to match up to the kit maybe 3rd party (like Tamron or Sigma) is the way to go for them.

It seems like Pentax are very competitively priced and has a great range.

My 2c. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:37 pm 
As far as I know,all the counterpart lenses are sharper than the Pentax lenses. The 16-50mm certainly is not a masterpiece,that's for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:13 pm 
Quote:
As far as I know,all the counterpart lenses are sharper than the Pentax lenses. The 16-50mm certainly is not a masterpiece,that's for sure.

I understand the 60-250 f4 Pentax is a very sharp lens. The Canon 70-200 f4L could be sharper. I have yet to find an equivalent Nikon lens. Maybe someone can help me out.

Pentax 60-250 f4: http://www.photozone.de/pentax/479-pentax_60250_4 (Highly Recommended)

"The Pentax SMC DA* 60-250mm f/4 ED [IF] SDM is a highly desirable long tele zoom lens with only minor weaknesses (except QC maybe). It is very sharp through its range and even the secondary aspects such as distortions, vignetting and lateral CAs are well controlled. While not formally tested the high quality of the bokeh (out-of-focus blur) seems to be a differentiator compared to similar lenses - long tele zoom lenses are often problematic here. The build quality is exceptionally high and up to pro standards. The AF operates virutally silent and fast (although not blazingly speedy). All-in-all a sound offer albeit a somewhat pricey one."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:19 pm 
The Canon is the sharpest F4 tele-zoom I know.
The 50mm from Pentax is less sharp that it's Canon counterpart (tested them too), so I can't point out an advantage for Pentax in terms of lenses.

Nikon doesn't have an F4 tele-zoom,but you could try to get the older 70-200mm F/2.8 second hand. Very sharp lens,VR included & everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:27 pm 
Quote:
The Canon is the sharpest F4 tele-zoom I know.
The 50mm from Pentax is less sharp that it's Canon counterpart (tested them too), so I can't point out an advantage for Pentax in terms of lenses.

Razvan, you're making a case for Canon :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:36 pm 
Well I never tested the Nikon 50mm F/1.4 so I can't say anything about it in comparisson. The internet reviews say that it's as sharp as the Canon.
I'm not making a case for Canon,I just use the information I have in my head. :)

Also,I'm not a big fan of F4 on cropped sensor cameras so my question to you is: do you really want F4 in a tele zoom? F/2.8 is going to be much much better & such an investment will be rewarded later on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:18 pm 

Hello

Before you tie your self to a system because of lenses maybe you should look at the likes of Sigma, Tamron and Tokina, in my view whilst the manufacturers own lenses may attarct a buyer the buyer should realise just how good the third party lenses are.

In my experience some third party lenses offer very similar or even equivalent performance for less.

I won't knock or recommend any particular lens or camera combination as not only does this depend on what type of photography you will want to do now and the changes that may occur with this - also make sure whatever you buy is the one you are happiest with and not what the salesman wants you to buy :D

If I may be so bold, may I suggest that as long as you pick a camera that has the features you require you wil not be disaapointed with any of the current market offerings just take a look at the pictures from each manufacturer, there are some awful shots from all makes as well as excellent ones.

Buy what makes you happiest - you'll know that feeling better once you handle the different models, beware though it could be an expensive but worthwhile handling session. :D (ie you may go in for a base model and come out with a prosumer one - it happens)

Just one little bit of bias though, Cannon kit lenses have not been up to scratch with Nikon, Pentax, Olumpus (18-55 - I am not sure about the stabilised version) but I would not let that swing things too much just factor this in to your decision and maybe even use it as a bargaining chip if you select Canon :D

My pic's - http://www.flickr.com/photos/10126769@N05/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:09 am 
Quote:
Before you tie your self to a system because of lenses maybe you should look at the likes of Sigma, Tamron and Tokina, in my view whilst the manufacturers own lenses may attarct a buyer the buyer should realise just how good the third party lenses are.

Thanks Stuey. Yes, the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC could be substituted for each manufacturer. I don't think it is weather-sealed though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:18 pm 
All the lenses you've listed in the Pentax line up are weather sealed. In the Canon list, only the 70-200mm L is sealed and Nikon are too embarrassed to officially state anything with regards to the weather seals on their lenses ;)

So if weather sealing is important and you don't want to break the bank, Pentax is the easy choice. As for lens sharpness, Pentax lenses are fine. Even if you go by the Photozone results, you will see that the often maligned Pentax DA* 16-50mm is sharper in the centre than the Nikkor 17-55, and it's officially weather sealed, stabilized and is significantly cheaper. In favor of the Nikkor, the AF speed might be slightly faster and the corners are better. However with software like DXO and Lightroom applying automatic lens corrections, both lenses will produce similar results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:36 am 
Philip, with built-in stabilization and weather-sealing it's pretty hard to find comparitive lenses from either Canon or Nikon. The Nikkor 17-55 f2.8 has no VR and costs a bunch!

...now try and find a comparitive f4 lense like the 60-250 that is weather-sealed and has VR/IS. Canon with their 70-200 f4L is similarly priced but there is nothing from Nikon.