Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:05 am 
This is really amazing. With a shared 4th place in the total ranking it is the best scoring crop camera to date. It just about the sensor, but still very impressive.

Check:

http://dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera- ... /Pentax/K5

Last edited by Ro_Serpiente on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:35 pm 

I just read this, impressive indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:31 pm 
Impressive, especially the dynamic range which blew away most full frame cameras (will we still need them? hehe) Anyway, we still need to see how Nikon D7000 perform in the test before crowning k5 sensor as the best in crop sensor DSLR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:45 pm 

I wonder what “modification” they had done to make it better than the A55 which has the same sensor, or is it just subjective.
Although I think that Pentax probably has the best body build, can’t see the IQ being any better than same sensor cameras as the A580 or D7000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:59 pm 

This score has certainly been making the rounds on various forums. At least the reaction here isn't like another site I visit, where they were short of accusing DxO of incompetence or faking results.

The proof will be in the results, so I'll be keeping an eye open for any that appear with a big dynamic range potential. There is one sample out there claiming recovery of an image underexposed by over 9 stops!

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:56 pm 
yeah some people are really upset. Sony people are upset that Pentax is getting more out of the sensor and Nikon guys are saying the D7000 will blow the K5 away and Nikon will stay the high iso king.

And some people indeed say that DxO is bullcrap. An high rating doesnt say you will make better pics, but it is an indication of the quality of the sensor. I dont think they are biased.

The K5 can keep me at Pentax :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:23 pm 

I cannot afford to switch to another camera maker. So, to ensure Canon has to keep producing great kit I want all the others to create better kit to force Canon to improve even more!

Well done Pentax and well done Sony. I assume this means the Sony boys and girls are looking forward to something a little special soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:18 am 
This is impressive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:28 am 
Well DXOmark isn't the be all and end all of tests but the abnormally large DR at ISO 50 and 100 looks a bit odd. There are plenty of actual sample images from the camera though and they all look pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:55 pm 
Well I dont have to switch for this camera. The K5 takes away a lot of doubts about Pentax. I really believe they can grow a bit. Pentax uses Sony sensors, but I think Pentax makes better cameras (light and strong). Pentax also has good lenses. If they grow they might bring out a FF too.
I think Pentax has the potention to be next to Canon and Nikon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:06 pm 
Pentax needs A LOT more lenses & much better marketing before getting even 1% more market share. The K5 analysis looks awesome,I don't doubt that it's a great camera. The D7000 & the 7D however are better cameras all-in-all & they share almost the same price tag with the Pentax,so the extra "charm" of the Pentax doesn't seem a good enough reason for smart buyers.

Last edited by Razvan on Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:06 pm 
The K5 is an awesome camera, they got the pricing wrong though IMO. It costs more than the D7000 and 60d.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:33 pm 
Yes but most compare the K5 with the Nikon D300s class and Canon 7d. The K7 also had the same price when it was introduced. Now it is around €400 cheaper. That is closer to the D90 than to the D300s.
It indeed €50 more expensive than the D7000 here (Europe) and €300 more expensive than the 60D. The D7000 is comparable, but the 60D is plastic and has an old sensor.

They definitely need better marketing and distribution. Nikon and Canon are in every store. Pentax just at special photography shops (just like Leica ;) ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:48 pm 
Leica is a high quality brand,with an exclusive share in the market. Pentax is a dying brand,that has no vision whatsoever.
Not very comparable if you ask me :) (I mean,they don't even have cheap sharp lenses,all of the Pentax users that I know use mostly third party lenses...)

Still,the future holds many surprises. I would really like Pentax to become a solid brand.

btw,the 60D is not really plastic. (aluminium and polycarbonate resin with glass fibre) but it doesn't feel as good as a magnesium body,I agree with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:51 pm 
Yea the K5 was definitely aimed at the 7d and the D300s, maybe slightly below. But the 60d and especially the D7000 are shaping out to be much more capable than people would expect in that segment so the k5's intended price advantage is gone until it is lowered to meet with or beat the D7000 at least.

It's true that Pentax's brand presence is not very impressive. When I was shopping around, it took me a while before I found a shop that had a K10d display model. It seems that Pentax's user base is limited to the savvy and better informed user who actually does research before buying. The kind of customer who seals the deal on what the sales rep says is most likely going to go with Canikon.

Honestly the "glass fibre reinforced plastic" of the 60d is made out to be more than it is. I don't doubt that the 60d is a tough camera but it is not some special breed of plastic and the specs say that the 550d uses the same plastic. I believe the k10d also used something similar.