Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Burj Al Arab
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:31 pm 
Hello,

This is my 2nd post. Please give me your comments.

After taking pictures of Burj Al Arab, I turned around and took a picture of the street as well.

These pictures have been sharpened using DPP, if i want to avoid that, should i set the sharpness higher in the camera setting instead?

Burj Al Arab by Streetname, on Flickr

Burj Al Arab2 by Streetname, on Flickr

Just a street by Streetname, on Flickr

Last edited by Streets on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:56 am 

Morning Streets

I'm going to be quite critical, only as this is one of the most photographed scenes in Dubai, shot from the most common place.

Shot 1 - great sharpness, but the composition needs looking at. It's cropped or zooomed too tightly in my opinion. The subject needs a little more space to breath

Shot 2 - a better composition - just look how clear Atlantis is in the distance

Shots 1 and 2 - presumably shot from a tripod with your zoom lens as they've both got the same lean to the right - a little anti clockwise adjustment is needed. Also, the highlights look a little blown on the 360 degree restaurant. It's difficult from there with those blue lights in front of the Burj, and the lighting on 360/the marina seafood restarant

Shot 3 doesn't do much for me, but that's just because I know the location well.

So you're doing pretty well - just watch the lean and composition. Make the most of the clarity at night over the next few months, and see if you can get to the same spots at sundown for some more different colour in the skies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:22 am 

Some landmarks are photographed literally millions of times a year, so aside from your own personal gallery, I'd suggest trying to shoot this building in a more creative way.

Your last shot really needs a focal point. A person is the obvious choice. A couple of kids playing on the ledge on the right, or a couple/single person walking along the sand would make this shot more interesting.

You find your approximate composition and then wait for some interesting life or moment to enter the frame.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:32 am 

@Kimchi

There are some slightly more original ways to get the shot, but they are generally expensive!

The best option is to get a room in the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, which will give you access to all the beaches around the Burj - then with an ultrawide you can get in closer.

Another option which I want to try out is to smuggle in a Gorillapod and camera to the rooftop bar of the Jumeirah Beach Hotel and be subtle about things.

Daytime is easier, as you can book a lunch in a hotel restaurant (Shimmers in Mina a Salaam is one I want to try) but low light is a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:26 am 
@Dubaiphil,

Thanks for your comments, critiques are better for me as a beginner.

Taking a look at the pictures again, I agree, the 1st pic is cropped too tightly, suffocating the subject. I walked up the beach to get a closer shot of Burj Al Arab (1st pic). I noticed the blue lights when shooting as well, but have no idea how to reduce it, so i thought, I'll do that using the editing software.

@Kimchi,

A few days before taking the Burj Al Arab, I drove round to see where i can get access to it. i was thinking of right in front of it, but it is guarded by security, not sure if i can get close since i'm not a guest of the hotel.

I agree, it is one of those I-want-the-same-shot kind of photos, the next step will be looking more creative way of photographing.

As for the 3rd, it was a trial shot on composition.

I took some a few days ago on the same beach...the subjects are too far for my lens to get a sharp pic. I used DPP to change the saturation and sharpening. Tell me what you think.

Deep in thought by Streetname, on Flickr

The Walk by Streetname, on Flickr