Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: CS5 has stopped working.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:42 pm 
I recently downloaded the Adobe Photoshop CS5 extended trial version. After installing this application it all appears good. Everything works EXCEPT photoshop. If I try to open photoshop I get the initial splash screen, and then widows error screen pops up saying "Adobe photoshop CS5 has stopped working". Just thought I would ask if anybody else had a similar experience or advice to offer? I certianly won't be spending 600 bucks on a program that I can't even open!

Thanks guys.

P.S. I have a Dell XPS M1530, 4 gigs of ram, nvidia 8600M GT, and Vista home preimum 32 bit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:23 am 
Just tried Photoshop Elements 9, and the same thing happened! I did a google search and apperently there are alot of different bugs with the new adobe programs and they crash alot for unknown reasons. Hopefully they will fix these bugs soon.

Anybody have any other reccomendations that aren't made by adobe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:32 am 

Hi heli-tim,

Have you tried pressing "Shift+Ctrl+Alt" while starting PhotoShop? Doing so resets the program's preferences so, even if it's a long shot, it might be worth a try.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:01 pm 
I can't get passed the splash screen to even get into the program. I will re-install the program later today and try it at the splash screen though. I will let you know if it works out! Thanks for the tip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:32 pm 

Are you saying you can't get past the splash screen even though you pressed "Shift+Ctrl+Alt" while starting the program? If so then it sounds as though re-installation has to be the way to go.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:39 pm 
Bob,

Sorry, I didn't word that properly. What I meant was that after 4 or 5 re-installations of both programs and the inability to get passed the initial splash screen, I left them both uninstalled. I haven't yet tried your advice with the ctrl+shift+Alt, but I will try that at the splash screen as soon as I re-install one of the applications later today. I will let you know if it works. :) Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:55 pm 
Update:

Pressing ctrl+shift+alt did not make a difference :( On the splash screen it gets to the part about "building color tables" and then it crashes!

I remember using Jasc PSP years ago to edit pictures (That other people took) and ran into similar problems. It ended up being a driver mismatch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:47 am 
Another update:

Photoshop elements 7, 8, & 9 all do the same thing.
they install perfectly, but when I try to go into the edit section, the splash screen loads and then the error pops up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:18 am 

Maybe there's a corrupt common file left on your system when you uninstall. If the only other Adobe app you have is Reader then you could try uninstalling every Adobe app from your machine, rebooting, starting Windows Explorer and deleting all Adobe folders left over (not forgetting "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe" or similar) and then reinstalling Reader and CS5 as usual.

The only other culprit I can think of, and I'm guessing wildly here, is a corrupt color profile that got installed along with your monitor's "driver". On my system (Windows 7) these are stored at "C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color" and the profile for my BenQ monitor is called "BenQFP241W.ICM" (type ICC Profile). You could try renaming the equivalent file on your computer. If that does the trick then it may be worth looking for an updated color profile from your monitor manufacturer's website.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:48 pm 
Bob,

Thanks again for replying! I tried to uninstall every adobe file from my computer, and I deleted the leftovers like you suggested. I restarted and did a fresh install of elements 7 with no luck. Same problem is occuring. I did however take notice to the fact that the splash screen says "building color conversion tables" when the error pops up. So you may be on the right track with the color profile thing. Saying that, I don't exactly know what you suggested I do there. I went to that location, and having a different type of monitor then you I guess it is a little confusing sorting through all those files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:00 pm 

If you can't positively identify the ICC file then leave well enough alone. The idea of renaming it is to prevent any application from using it (temporarily) while you fault find. Better than deleting it because you can always restore the original name.

Another way into colour management is to right-click on your Desktop and select "Screen Resolution" (hope that works for Vista as well as W7). Click on "Advanced Settings" and, with luck, you'll end up in a dialog box with a "Color Management" tab. Make liberal use of the online help (I won't be able to lead you through it, I'm afraid) and you may be able to remove or replace your current colour profile.

Oh, and maybe Photoshop CS4 APPCRASH @ Startup Vista 32bit will be of interest.

Good luck.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:12 pm 
Thanks for all your help Bob. I have been through the link you sent me before :( but I will give it another try now that I have wiped everything off the computer. That guy has the exact same computer set-up as me from what I can tell. Must be something not jiving :P