Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:06 am 
Site Admin

NEW! Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ45 / FZ40 review!

Hello everyone, on July 21st, Panasonic announced the successor to the best-selling FZ38 / FZ35. The new model is known as the FZ45 in Europe and the FZ40 in North America.

This is our official thread for discussing the new camera. We will of course be reviewing it (and the higher-end FZ100) when it becomes available.

[img]http://media.panasonic.eu/images/DMC-FZ45EB-K-HiRes-Image__Image--[1]((Europe))-1WebA1001001A10G07B60955F92956.jpg[/img]

Official page at Panasonic UK website

Hybrid Super Zoom Camera FZ45 - From 25mm Wide-angle to 24x Optical Zoom for both Still and HD Motion Pictures

The 14.1-megapixel DMC-FZ45 features a 25mm wide-angle 24x optical zoom f/2.8-5.2 LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT lens. The 25mm wide-angle lens has about twice the shooting area of the standard 35mm lens. The powerful 24x optical zoom can be used both in still and motion picture recording. The Extra Optical Zoom function uses the center part of the CCD to extend this 24x zoom ratio to powerful 50.6x zoom at a resolution of 3-megapixel or less in still picture recording.

The DMC-FZ45 can record HD movie in AVCHD Lite with high sound quality of Dolby Digital Stereo Creator. Motion JPEG format is also available (1,280 x 720 pixels). Just press the Motion Picture Button, and shooting begins. In the Creative Movie Mode, the shutter speed and aperture can be adjusted. The iA Mode can also be activated in motion picture recording. When the DMC-FZ45 is connected to a Panasonic VIERA via an optional mini HDMI cable, the TV's remote control unit can be used to enjoy playing back with greater convenience.

The POWER O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) nearly doubles the hand-shake correction power of conventional MEGA O.I.S. So you can take beautiful night shots without blurring. Activating POWER O.I.S., Intelligent ISO Control, Face Detection AF/AE with Face Recognition, Intelligent Scene Selector, Intelligent Exposure and AF Tracking, the camera does all the work in the iA Mode. And Happy Mode optimizes color saturation and brightness for vividly memorable scenes.

With the Intelligent Resolution technology, 3 areas – outlines, detailed texture areas and soft gradation areas – are automatically detected. Apart from the uniform enhancement of sharpness, this technology precisely performs signal processing pixel by pixel in the most effective way according to the area. As a result, images are clear and crisp in both photos and movies. The Intelligent Zoom extends zoom ratio by approx. 1.3x maintaining the image quality even combining a digital zoom. 24x optical can virtually extend to 32x equivalent.

The excellent manual controllability is the advantage of DMC-FZ45. The jog dial enhances the operability. In addition, easy manual operation is possible with the DMC-FZ45. The My Color Mode and Film Mode make it easy to customize color effects to match your favor. The Advanced Scene Mode lets you quickly set the frequently used Portrait, Scenery, Sports, Night Portrait, or Close-up Modes with the mode dial. The DMC-FZ45 also features a 3.0-inch 230,000-dot Intelligent LCD with wide-viewing angle.

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: wait
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:00 am 
i wait on this camera, in the netherlands it wil come half august. I hope that this one is the same quality or better than the FZ38.
:P
Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:14 pm 
Hi Gordon,

I was wondering when exactly you will be able to review the fz40? Do you know exactly, or can you at least estimate when the review will be posted?

Haha, I can't decide whether to wait for the fz40, or just buy a 35 right now. I'm concerned with the higher amount of pixels in the same size sensor in the fz40, so I think even when the 40 does come out I'll be going for the 35, although I can't say for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

I can't comment on future reviews sorry!

Most of the time I get very little advance notice on when a product will arrive, and even then there can be delays due to delivery or testing issues. There are also commercial reasons why it's not a good idea to say exactly when a new review is coming.

All I can say is sometime this year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:59 pm 
I totally understand :) Thanks for replying though!

Post subject: Panasonic FZ40
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:01 am 
I purchased the Panasonic FZ40 after considerable researching and reading. Have only used it once since it came over a week ago and was very satisfied with the clarity and crispness and also great zoom with the camera. Took about 30 pictures of my husband's shooting tournament and was pleased with the results. Hope it continues to give me great results in all situations. I have purchased about six Panasonics for me and my family and never had a disappointment so far. Hope it lasts.

Post subject: quick testimony on FZ40
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:55 am 
I bought a FZ40 last week. This is very similar to FZ35/38, only that this has extra 6x magnifying, extra 2 megapixels on max resolution, and most importantly, wider aperture range and exposure adjustment level.

I've taken a hundred shots over the past week (trust me, it's addictive) and here's my testimony:

1. The 24x optical zoom is unbelievably fantastic for a hybrid camera. but beware, extra magnifying takes extra stability in shooting.

2. Photos can get grainy/noisy when you shoot with ISO800 and above.

3. Battery life is as good as usual. There's concern on another forum that they can't get additional battery. I just bought one, original.

4. I seldom use the viewfinder as we need to adjust/refocus the diopter lens.

5. very user friendly with the back grid/grip (to adjust the settings) and Function (Fn) button to change the photos ratio, megapixels, metering, etc.

Bottom line, performance of Compact/Hybrid camera will depend a lot on its engine, which i've proved again and again that Lumix's engine is (much) better than the other brand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:47 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, we've just published our FZ45 / FZ40 review, which includes comparisons against the SX30 IS, FZ100 and the earlier FZ38 / FZ35. Hope you find it useful!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ45 / FZ40 review!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:40 pm 
Gordon,

Found the review extremely helpful! While I have the FZ100, there are many things in common with the FZ40/45. Question! In your review you have 6 views shown of the LCD monitor. I find the one with different settings listed across the top Vs sides very useful. How was view 2 of 6 accomplished? What "Mode" do you have to be in to get that view? So much to learn and hoping a FZ100 review will happen soon to include a "video tour"!

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:02 pm 

That's in an auto mode, for instance the Landscape mode.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ron, do you mean the lower left screenshot of the six? That was taken in the Landscape / Scenery preset, which like the other main presets, offers additional options.

The top middle screengrab with the drop down menus for settings was grabbed in PASM modes. In Auto mode,s there's fewer settings available here.

I hope to film a video demo of some of these super-zoom cameras in the future, but right now I have too many written reviews to complete for the festive season!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:02 pm 
Gordon ~ Thanks! Just need to become more familiar with camera, displays and buttons. Looking forward in time to your "Video" review of both cameras!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:29 pm 

I have FZ35/38 model, after reading reviews(incl users) of the above models, from various sources I am in NO hurry in upgrading.

I suggest those who require a super zoom camera, should stick with the well proven FZ35/38 which will be phased out. It is cheaper now or even pickup a 2nd hand one at an attractive price. Buyers will not be disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:33 am 
Registered just to say thanks for all the wonderful reviews you guys have done. I've been a long time reader (mostly for fun since I didn't really have the means or needs to upgrade my SD750IS).

I used the Amazon referral link to buy my FZ40 :) Hope that helps even a little bit.

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:49 am 

I think Gordon will be very happy when he hears you bought through the parter stores!

I hope you will enjoy your new camera. I enjoyed my Lumix very well, these Lumix cameras are really great :wink:

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies