Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:22 am 

thanks for that, strange choice of launch times with Christmas hols etc.

what extra could they add to camera 1080 video bigger zoom !!

Cant make my mind up to wait or just get current one.

Regards

A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:58 pm 

Good news, I checked the TZ10 in Edinburgh and it did pick up the Landmarks (Zoo, Golf course etc).

I may have only deleted my local landmarks, or perhaps there are none at all I don't know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hurrah! Glad it started showing some landmarks! The only way to tell if there are any recorded for your original location is to take a new TZ10 there and see. Unfortunately there's no way of knowing what's in the original database or restoring it from anywhere, so you're working blind unless you have a new, untouched model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:42 pm 

Fine Gordon.
I am not too worried now that I know that landmarks for places I don't normally shoot at are working. I can live with my local ones being AWOL.

Of course the exact lat lon are still recorded in the EXIF so geotagging programs still display the position on the map. iPhoto and Aperture both work well in that respect.

Thanks again for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

Precisely - that's the thing. A lot of people are initially annoyed there's not landmark data for everywhere, but as you say, the GPS co-ordinates are still recorded for anywhere in the world, so they cna be used for mapping later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:21 am 

Hello,

The first of all, thanks for bring information about tz10 (and exceptional review).

I can confirm the same issue with the GPS too here in Spain. I bought the camera in Canaries Island. There, the land-marks were stored successful.
When I back to home -Spain, I updated the firmware from v1.1 to the new 1.2, then also I used the option in camera "delete all place-names" I guess that for initialize the gps (as I read in panasonic web page). Now, the camera don't show land marks but gps coordinates are stored. I tried it in two small towns (not opportunity for check in a big town still). Land marks are stored as dash as is shown with exiftool:

State : ---
City : ---
Landmark : ---

IMO the camera should show at least the country and state in the land-mark info, Apparently if there is not a POI the camera don´t show anything :(
I think the panasonic should take note of this for the next firmware update.

I will post the experience if I have the opportunity of check this issue in a big town.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:18 pm 

No, if there is no landmark the TZ10 does show the other information, Country , State, City.

However if you have used "delete all place names" then you have deleted everything in the location database - and it will not be able to display any information. (I am pretty sure, though I have not tried that as I do not want to do it).

Gordon says there is no way to reload the data - a crazy situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Madbird, why did you delete all the place names? As I said in my review, I believe this is an irreversible process. I think you may have deleted the location database, in which case, you won't see any place names from now on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:06 am 

hello,
i bought a zs7 last week with software v1.1. a new version is out. can i use it without problems? i would like to use 3rd party akkus!! with v1.1. this akkus are working fine.

2. is it possible to use the tz10 firmware, because i miss german language. the file is complete the same file size but i will not destroy my camera if it is not working with the tz10 firmware.

thanks for helping me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:03 pm 

I think I posted back on about page 1 :oops:

I am now ready to actually buy this camera-except I just read a scathing review of its battery performance with the GPS on. The reviewer said he only got 80 shots out of a fully charged battery with GPS running. That worries me.

I haven't seen any other mention of this-so should it be disregarded or not wonders I.

Now I'm thinking maybe GPS is overkill. If I went without GPS is there a Panasonic like the TZ10, but with no GPS?

Thanks FF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, the TZ8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:17 pm 

But you can turn the GPS off :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:29 am 

OK, you can turn it off-agreed, but say you actually want it on-is 80 shots per battery charge the reality?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:32 am 

Very sorry-forgot to thank Gordon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:39 am 

Hello mr. Gordon your review is really awesome it was very helpful, I just have one question, I was going to get a 16gb sdhc card for the zs7 and I was thinking of Lexar 16GB Platinum II 100x do u think it's gonna be good or should I get a better one, and do u recommend any particular card that would be good and not very expensive, thanks in advance

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next