Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Travel Lens Question...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:15 am 
So I am about to embark on a 3 week vacation to the land down under (Australia). I plan on bringing my 35mm f1.8, my 50mm f1.8 and I am looking to purchase a Tokina 12-24mm - do I need to bring my 18-55mm Nikon Kit lens or does this seem like overkill?

Thanks,

Brandon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:46 am 
I'd say if theres room in your bag, you might as well bring it. Its not going to kill anyone if you bring it, even if you're probably not going to be using it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:33 am 

Regardless of where you go, it depends on what you want to shoot :?

Cheers

Post subject: OK How about this...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:49 am 
Ok answer this for me then. I plan on doing some expeditions while I am there - spending about 1 week in Melbourne, then taking the trip along the coast to Sydney - spending 4 nights in Sydney - then hitting the Blue Mountains ( i think thats what they are called) and taking another route back. Mostly landscapes and cityscapes.

I have so far

Nikon 18-55mm Kit
Nikon 35mm f1.8
Nikon 50mm f1.8

How would you spend $600 +/- What lens would you go with? I have been eying the Tokina 12-24 but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:05 am 

Australia is a big place, you may need to get a bit closer to the action.
A bigger zoom :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:29 am 
So 18-200mm Nikon may be the winner then...I just am curious how much I will miss not having a 11mm or 12mm lens...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:32 am 
It is a pretty awesome stretch of coastline. If you want to get big sweeping coastal landscapes, you'll miss it a lot.

Also the Blue Mountains aren't exactly ugly either - you'd get some pretty awesome landscapes there as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:45 am 
See you guys are gonna make me get two lenses here LOL

I'm thinking the Tokina 12-24mm and a Nikon 55-200 VR

That would cover everything and save me money - I just dont know how much I would use the zoom - but I can also see where 55mm at my high end could limit me. What if I see some Tasmanian devils or something that I wanna snap a pic of far away LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:59 am 
There are no Tasmanian Devils on mainland Australia, except in zoos.
You need to go to Tasmania for them ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:06 am 
Hi bsdubois00,

If I were you - and I wish I were because that sounds like a great trip! - I'd bring the 35mm F1.8 as my all round lens. Bringing the 50mm as well is not (strictly) necessary, I think.

Of course, I'm thinking in terms of encumbrance and weight here...less is more.

The 35mm is great for street, buildings, low-light and portraits!

So the question for me would be, should I go WIIIDE or LOONG for my second lens?

I like the Tokinas, but the wide ones are baaaad for flares...sunflares especially. And they are particularly obnoxious..long, red and hard to close out! Excellent for indoors and architecture, but don't get the sun on the frame.

Call me crazy, but I'd be tempted to bring the 10.5mm fish eye. The fisheye-hemi software does a great job of straightening the images out and you can't get a sun flare if you want to..lol.

Not sure what I'd use a longer lens for, bu to be on the safe side, the 55-200 AF-S VR is inexpensive, lightweight and does really well in good light.

Good luck with your choice and your trip!!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:02 am 

Why do you need a 12-24mm,? I suggest bring the 35 or the 55 for low light, the Nikon 18-55mm VR and a 55-200mm AF-VR, that should cover most things. If your in the states, it's best to buy there as down under is expensive, maybe you can get lenses at duty free stores. There's nothing wrong with kit lenses.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:07 am 

I live two hours east of Melbourne and have been up and down that coast line many times. I don` really think that any more wide angle than the kit lens is necessary for your shots.

You might actually get more value out of a 100mm 2.8 macro prime lens. Not familiar with what Nikon have without looking it up.

Great for macro shots of our spiders, bugs orchids, flowers etc . and double as a action lens for wildlife shots, birdlife, surf, snakes, koala bears, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:01 pm 
Well I purchased a 55-200 VR last night - Adorama has the refurb's for 149 - that is a hard price to beat...

I guess this will have me set - I forgot to mention that I do have the Samyang 8mm fisheye - which I use for my 360 work - its actually a very nice lens - I will probably throw this one in the bag as well if there is room for it. That will help me on those REALLY wide shots I want - and I can just correct the images using software....

Now where to find those little Tasmanian Devils LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:33 pm 

That is a good price for the lens, now you are all set with the lenses, have fun downunder.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:04 am 
@bsdubois00

Thanks so much for your purchase; I'm sure you will be delighted with it - but if you need any after-sales advice or support, please don't hesitate to drop me an email: HelenO@adorama.com.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador