Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Blue Eye ?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:48 am 
I thought that I knew about red eye, that it was a reflection off the red blood vessels in the retina,,,
but what is going on here ? >>

Looks like something from the Midwich Cuckoos !
Or do our sheep have royal blood ?! :)

Malcolm, puzzled,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:06 am 
you might have like red eye reduction or something that automatically fixes red eye and it colored it blue.. all i can think of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:45 am 
Yeah the same thing happened when I took some photos of my Dad's cats...

I'm not sure what it is, might be something to do with their night vision?

:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:28 pm 
emp93 wrote:
you might have like red eye reduction or something that automatically fixes red eye and it colored it blue.. all i can think of.

Good thinking,
I should have said that they were taken with a Panasonic FZ18, I wonder if that has auto-redeye set ,,,>,, back to rtfm !
I'll have to save RAWs next time and have a look in some software that will not have auto-redeye.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Post subject: Night vision
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:49 pm 
Hey,

i dont have a scientific use of words here but I can explain what is happening.

Just like the gentleman above said "could be something to do with their night vision" - correct

I'm not sure where you guys live ( and I havent travelled much) but here in UK we have an invention discoverd for the roads to help us see the middle line in the dark, they are called cats eyes.

basily the light will refelct off the eyes and create the blue colour that you are seeing there.

Most mammels that are designed to see in the dark have slit eyes (Tapetum Lucidum) , like cats etc. Sheep and goats being very closely related to one another also have basic night vision and have the slit eye's.

I've never tried but I guess you may be able to treat this refelction like red eye, However I have just stuck to photographing my goats when they are outside which solves the problem right away without any tweaking.

For more info on the reflection (Not to do with how to stop it) check out these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat%27s_eye_%28road%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapetum_lucidum

Post subject: Re: Night vision
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:54 am 
Wendy Woo wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapetum_lucidum

Thanks Wendy, excellent ref., it all becomes clear now :)
Malcolm,
also in the UK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:09 pm 
Hello,

My pleasure. And you have some very nice sheep there, sorry to have disapointed you with the Royal blood idea :(

Never mind, pleased you found the link useful

When ive figured out how to post my pics I'll put my goats up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:50 pm 

For instructions how to post, Wendy, looky here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:27 pm 
Wendy Woo wrote:
sorry to have disapointed you with the Royal blood idea :(
No worries, I'm really a republican at heart ;)

Would love to see your goats, and the colour of their eyes!, in the fullness of time.

Now if only I had noticed that wayward straw up the nostril of the lamb when I was taking that pic I could have ended up with a much nicer spooky pic :)
( btw, it is a crop from a much larger pic, I wasn't being cruel to the lamb by flashing it at close quarters ! )

Malcolm,
SW England.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:12 am 
Do you think they are trying to tell me something ? ! :-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:41 am 

alll right...that is the cornea reflecting light...the iris on those little lambies is brown.

The cornea, being a light gather-er, is also a light reflector, when the pupils are dilated in the dark they allow light to be reflected back out...and so that is what you are perceiving as blue or milky reflection. I believe they call that bi-refraction...because it allows lightto penetrate, as well as allows light to reflect...(not the same as a gemstone that has bi-refractive qualities, exactly I don't think but similar)..but Wendy W is right on the money, as it is something that happens in horses, and cattle, too..

And come to think of it, yes, I did just fall off of the turnip truck.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:50 am 

one more thing I forgot,.....lol...(falling off the turnip truck, HAS affected me) note that the reflection is only apparent, when the animal is lookin directly AT you..the youngsters in the straw, who are not lookin at you or focusing back on you, do not have the reflection.

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

great little lambies...and Wendy, get goin I wanna see those pictures, too, ya know. Goats are good!!!!

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:06 am 
patti wrote:
lol...(falling off the turnip truck, HAS affected me)
heheee, no worries, and this close to Burns night we dont want to start a discussion on what the English think is a turnip and what the Scots consider a neep, do we ,,, ;) not to mention a rutabaga ( did I spell that right ?) or a sweed :)

Quote:
note that the reflection is only apparent, when the animal is lookin directly AT you..the youngsters in the straw, who are not lookin at you or focusing back on you, do not have the reflection.
Yes indeed, and as soon as I get the chance I am going to get my human subjects to pose that way as well !

bleat bleat, snuffle, grunt :)

Malcolm,
bed-time in old England ,,,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:42 am 

MalcomP don't go quote-a-ting holidays I don't know about..gosh dang me....something tells me I should investigate the Burns deal. Is it scary?
Because if it is, I don't wanna know.

lol...and here, I thought it was pearls o' wisdom, I was casting. You already knew, about the reflection all along.. son of a flipper. All my cornea knowledge, gone to waste...I will tell you one thing, tho, when you bring cattle out of the hills, 'specially when there are bulls in the mix...you don't wanna see any little white reflections...it means he is most likely not happy, and he is lookin atchooo...me and my pony hate to be in the line of fire..

And, besides, I think that the sheep posed pretty dang sweet for you.

Hop off to bed. We are one day closer to the Canon reveal...whooohoooo.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:09 am 
patti wrote:
MalcomP don't go quote-a-ting holidays I don't know about..gosh dang me....something tells me I should investigate the Burns deal. Is it scary?
Because if it is, I don't wanna know.
Nope, the Burns night deal is not at all scary patti, dont worry, it is just a wee post Victorian bit of errrm,,, I'd better shut up here !;) on the grounds of when in a hole stop digging LOL !

Mind u, if you are of a nervous disposition you would be well advised not to get into his scary poem "Tam o' Shanter", it starts of well enough, but soon decends into darker things.

now how did we get here ! ,,,

Quote:
I will tell you one thing, tho, when you bring cattle out of the hills, 'specially when there are bulls in the mix...you don't wanna see any little white reflections...it means he is most likely not happy, and he is lookin atchooo

All noted, thanks !
We have not yet got into cattle, we were tempted a while ago to get some Dexter ( a minature breed over here, dont know how widespread they are) but they now command silly money :(

Quote:
And, besides, I think that the sheep posed pretty dang sweet for you.
Yes! they did do well didnt they, very cooperative :) I must remember to give them extra bread crusts tomorrow, they love that :)