Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: So...E-5 Thoughts?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:12 pm 
Many were initially disappointed with the release of the E-5. I'm sure many still are. However some were impressed, and those who got a chance to review pre-production and production units were also impressed, at least with the image quality. What are some of your thoughts? Do you plan to buy one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:59 pm 
I like it so far. Can't afford one yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:12 pm 

Standard features, impressive IQ, a bit overpriced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:26 am 
I think it's a great camera, but my E-30 and EP-2 or not that old that I need a replacement now. In addition, I don't need water/dustproof, so the additional weight scares me a bit. I would be more interested in an E-50 in a year or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:51 am 

Unless you've already have a few HG or SHG lenses, I can't see much point in going for an upgrade. Olympus have stopped developing 4/3 lenses and the E5 is likely to be the last Olympus DSLR.

I'm going to wait and see how or whether 4/3 merges properly with m4/3 before I buy any more Olympus gear. The thing is I was planning on buying 2 lenses this summer - the 12-60 and the 50mm or 70-300. That's on hold and I'm waiting to see whether EVIL provides an upgrade to my E520. I'm open to any manufacturer, but Panasonic is closest at the moment.

It's a shame because Olympus DSLR are such a joy to use. This 'joy' is something most consumers never got a chance to experience before being herded towards the Canikon train.

I'm happy with my E520 but feel stuck with my kit lenses for some situations at the moment.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:48 pm 
What is this "joy" you speak of?

I'm not trying to be facetious, it just never occured to me that one camera manufacturer can be better to use than the other brands once you put personal preference aside. I've spent time with Canons, Nikons, Pentaxs and Sonys but never an Oly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:38 pm 

If you've never used one you wouldn't know :wink:

Many people became Olympus owners after drawing up a list of several manufacturers and trying them out in the shop. Several Olympus users I've known went the Olympus route after doing this, whereas many Canikon users I know never tried their cameras before purchase - only read reviews or listened to sales people.

My personal choice was the Canon 450D, Nikon D3000, and Olympus E520. After fiddling with them and trying them out for some time it was clear how much nicer the Olympus was to use.

Obviously, it's just perhaps my preference....

And this is Olympus' and Pentax's problem. Most consumers never get the chance to try them out, and the E5 will be no exception.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:55 pm 
Well I tried pretty much every brand apart from Olympus before realising that I much preferred Nikon so I guess I never thought Olympus could be much better to use. Seems that every Oly model that is within my reach doesn't have direct access to a lot of settings though, which is the main reason I ignored everything but my D80. The Pentax K10 at the time I ignored for other reasons. I've used Olympus compacts and they've put me off the brand with their appaling image quality and (to me) infuriating user interface.

At the time I thought the smaller format sensor of the 4/3rds cameras and all their advantages were quite irrelevant as they were only a small step away from the APS-C cameras but after seeing how convenient some of the EVIL cameras can be, the "half-way" point 4/3rds does begin to look quite attractive. I find the Oly lens selection quite attactive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:45 pm 
It is. That's why I personally don't feel the need for those "new" lenses Olympus will never develop.

If you got the money, get yourself the 12-60mm, the 50-200mm and the 50mm prime and there you go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:15 pm 
There's a pretty thorough field test here for those who are interested.

He points out that the anti aliasing filter's thickness has been reduced and the moire reduction is handle by the image processor. As far as I know, there are cameras with that approach to the AA filter but none have attempted to remove moire using a processor. The images look sharp but its hard to tell without 100% crops and comparisons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:50 am 
Actually olympus has the easiest way of getting to EVERY setting out of all brands. I wish it becomes industry standard as sensor cleaner and live view (and swivel screen by the looks of it) did.
Its called super control panel and its really handy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:46 pm 

If the price would be around 1200 or less, I would have bought it already.
I don't know if there will be a m4/3 successor on which the 4/3 lenses will work properly. If so it would be ok for me, but if not the E5 will be the last Olympus I might buy (except maybe compact).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:40 pm 

I came to Olympus after Contax went away, and was influenced by the lens quality. Since doing so I've invested in four 4/3 fit lenses and was using them with an E-3, which recently had a couple of breakdowns. I've now added an E-5, as I heard this may be the last DSLR they make and am hoping to be using this kit for many years to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:50 pm 

When I read the results of the Panasonic GH2, it is a pity that Olympus did not use the sensor used in the GH2. Now the E5 is a good camera, but it could have been a great camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:39 am 
Hi....
Olympus is one of the best camera...i personally use this one...it gives you the best quality result..... so weather you buy EP2 or EP3....it will show it best quality to you...and you can catch the moments with this awesome camera.....