Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: UV filter?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:21 am 
After reading the accessories buyer's guide input regarding filters I've been searching the forum for more information. I've read about polarizing filters, etc. and I understand generally what those are for--I'm a long way from needing that info, but what about the UV filter?

Does one always use one--or only in certain occassions?

Does the lense cap get placed over the top of this or is it removed every time (feels uterly stupid for asking that one).

I've read about them protecting the lense---but what about caring for the filter . . .

Feel free to link me to a thread if necessary--I did look for info but failed.

I plan to be entering the DSLR world soon with a Rebel XS so I'm on a major learning curve.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:54 am 

UV filters are mosty used for protecting the lens. They screw in the front and the lens cap is clipped onto them. I keep mine all the time, too much nag to unscrew. I now have one on each lens.

Caring about the filter is simple, I usually clean them with an eyeglass cleaning fluid and a microfiber cloth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:55 am 

I dont have time to answer all your questions, but because of you have a UV filter, the lens would not become damaged. A UV filter costs around 5-20 euros, and a lens....
If your UV filter gets damaged (never happened to me btw) you could think ''yeah, my el cheapo lens is damaged, but my real lens has no problems''.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:06 pm 
UV filters are from the film days, film is more sensitive to UV light than digital sensors and on sunny days, photos can end up with haziness or a blue cast. They are also cheap so they have the additional function of protecting the lens. On a DSLR, their primary function is unnecessary so if you only want to protect the lens, you can get a neutral-colour filter and save a little bit of money. I wouldn't be too concerned about keeping them clean because they are generally considered to be disposable, they take most of the result of any accident instead of your front element. I clean mine with a lens cloth and yes the lens cap will snap right on.

Try and get a decent filter, no need to go nuts but a cheap filter will degrade image quality noticeably. I use Hoya Pro-1 series filters and they do the job for a reasonable price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:38 pm 

As others have mentioned, they don't have a lot of purpose on modern digital cameras as far as IQ goes...protection tends to be the most common use. As long as you are getting one of good optical quality, they most likely won't cause any degredation of image quality...at least not noticeably...so it's just whether it makes you feel better having it on there. Get a cheap one though, and the IQ may suffer - making it not so worth it. Those who have smashed the end of a lens on something, or gotten a bad scratch on the end of the lens glass, would appreciate having a UV filter which would take most or all of the damage - being a simple disposable piece, it's much cheaper to replace than a lens...but I don't go out of my way to put one on my lenses.

I use one on my 50mm F1.7, because I had one with the right threads that fit, and that lens has no hood. I use one on my 300mm F4 prime, because it came with one - and it's a hugely expensive piece too - so might as well use it. All of my other lenses do not have one. Lens hoods can offer protection too, so if you use one, you don't really need the extra UV protection as well. And remember for night shots and such, any extra glass at all in front of the lens can cause unwanted reflections and flares - so it's usually a good idea to take off a UV before this type of shooting.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:09 am 
Thanks for the info and the tips!

Looks like I'll get a good one for our tromps through the woods, at least. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:45 am 

UV light influence is felt in landscapes at high altitude (high mountains). Otherwise the filter main use is as protection. UV light scatters in the air when it reaches the atmosphere and the effect in the image is like of a dusty windshield in sunlight. The lower the altitude the less amount of scattered light.
It’s best to use coated UV filters that diminish flares and artifacts induced by the filter.
Cheap ones sometimes are worst than window glass (that blocks UV too) and may downgrade IQ.

Canon580EXII
http://www.errre.net