Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:28 pm 
I just purchased and installed the little stick-on filter ring (threaded 37mm). Does anyone have experience with these?

Post subject: GPS locations database
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:09 am 
Gordon, many thanks for the useful review, I purchased a TZ10 partly as a result of that.
:)

I am a bit worried that I may have deleted part of the landmark database. :oops:

On the other hand it may just be that there are no landmarks where I have been shooting locally in Scotland!

At least I didn't try and press "delete all place-names".

So, I have a question - is there a way to restore the GPS Location database? - surely they can't have made that impossible.

I have asked Panasonic this, but had no reply at all.

Thanks in anticipation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:24 pm 
@braeside

You could try and download the latest firmware for the TZ10? That might restore place names.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:27 pm 
Thanks, I had already installed the latest firmware by the time I may have deleted the data. I cannot reload nor downgrade and reload the firmware again either.

I don't think the data for the locations is in the firmware in any case, as it isn't big enough.

There does not seem to be any way to examine the data via the USB either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

I believe it is possible to delete the database, but it is not possible to reinstall it - as far as I understand. Are you sure you don't just need to cycle through the display options? It's possible to switch landmarks, country, town etc on and off in the menus. Have a good read through that section of the manual, and if possible try going into a shop and comparing yours with one of theirs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:01 pm 
Gordon, thanks for the reply.

Fortunately I didn't delete everything, in fact I may not have deleted anything (I hope). I do understand the various options for displaying the different levels of details in the database, so I don't think it is pilot error.

I may try and find a shop and compare as you suggest, but of course getting a GPS signal may be a problem there.

What I intend to do next is to pop over to Edinburgh, where surely there must be some landmark in the database.

I find it rather surprising that Panasonic have designed it so that a user could accidentally delete data that could not be reloaded.

It would have been a lot better if they had a system for updating the data in the future by a software download, similar to firmware updates.

Thanks again for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:13 am 
Site Admin

It may be a licensing issue, that the map and landmark database not be available on a separate CD or as a download. I asked them the very same question when reviewing it, but I couldn't absolutely ascertain the situation.

So is yours definitely acquring a GPS signal and location? Are there co-ordinates recorded in the EXIF header of images? It should at least say Scotland or UK on the screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:04 am 
Yes Gordon, I do get country county and nearest city info but just --- for landmark.

Exif lat lon is fine and shows on map in iPhoto and Aperture, which is super.

I am on a trip up north today and will see if it finds any landmarks there!

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hmmm, doesn't sound like it's stored anything for your immediate area. Where exactly are you? It had so much around where I live in Queenstown, including all the golf courses, swimming pools, airports, churches, recreational clubs etc, BUT QT is an international tourist destination. You may need to go to a bigger city or a well-known tourist location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:55 pm 
Hi Gordon, I am near Dunfermline in Scotland , the ancient capital. I was up in Pitlochry today in the Highlands, still no landmarks. (it did know I was in Pitlochry).

Will try Edinburgh soon, surely there must be something there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

It'll have to have something in Edinburgh! If it doesn't have the castle, I'll give Panasonic a ring!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

PS - while you're there, see if you can try one in a shop to see if theirs shows any landmark info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:57 am 
Wil let you know Gordon. Have not had a chance to pop in to Edinburgh yet.

Post subject: DMZ tz10
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:02 am 
hi

the uk stores seem to be discounting the the tz10 and not much stock, i am just about to buy is it worth waiting. i looking for compact big zoom and gps
any other new models about to come out.

Regards

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:29 am 
Site Admin

Andy, this model was announced in January 2010, and the one before it in January 09, so that would suggest the next one might be January 2011, but it's only speculation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next