Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Why Flickr?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:53 am 
The title is shorthand for asking: "What online photo sharing site do you recommend... and why?" I titled it as I did because, in looking around at many posts, it appears that the most popular answer might be "Flickr". So, if that's the answer, I'm just curious as to what reasons might lead one to choose it (over, say, Photobucket, Webshots, or dotPhoto).

Or, if something else, what and why?

I'll add here a bit of my own research that leads me to think Flickr may be best: first it scores #2 on "toptenreviews.com". Second, it appears to have copyright license settings to at least allow you to claim what's yours (even if someone should choose to ignore the "All rights reserved" statement beneath a given photo). Photobucket (they were #1, by the way), in its terms of use, for example, states that they are allowed to use any content uploaded to their site, unless you mark it as private (i.e. can't be viewed by the public). So, although I'm just beginning to pursue this as a hobby, I would still prefer not to be giving open permission to others to use my images.

So, please share your opinions on this, and on any other factors I should take into consideration.

PS Hopefully I chose the right forum: I also considered the "software" forum and the "(online) printing" forum. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:23 am 

It depends on what you're after exactly...

I use photobucket (free) for smaller images I'm displaying publicly. In 2 years I've only just about to fill up the free account and might look at going paid soon. I don't put high res on there. They give dedicated copy and paste of the code for inserting to BB posts so that's a handy time saver.

Personally I don't like the flickr layout. The navigation sucks, but on the positive side they do seem to have a community going on there, and you have a chance of being noticed by Getty I think...

I use deviantart the most. It is a mixed media site and not photo only, so the community is a little different. Not suited if you want to make private galleries.

On that last note, I have also used Picasa, since that integrates nicely with the software. That does support private albums as well as public ones.

So I guess overall there isn't a single services I found that does everything, and I mix and match for the function I need.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:14 am 
I have only recently started to take interest in photography. At the moment I own a point and shoot and am waiting for the a580 to hit the shelves to buy it.

I too use photobucket for picture sharing (linking pics to forum discussions).

I have friends who use flickr as they like browsing the site to get inspiration on new subjects / new compositions.

Yesterday night I discovered wix.com which allows you to build a proper website. Don't know if any of you have any feedback about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:19 am 

I recently signed up to flickr and got the pro account @$25/year

-I upload everything I shoot there as an off-site back-up as I have unlimited uploads. I'd have to download individual images in the event of my HDDs failing (15,000 of!) but there's an app, apparently, which will automate it for me.

-I like the community side. I'm a member of several 'critique' groups which I've found invaluable for their frankness; unlike the 'nicely, softly' critique on most forums

-I have no problems linking to forums or managing my sets/galleries etc. It is clunky though.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:56 am 
At the time, I didn't give much thought to it and just went with the popular choice. I've thought about switching but never seriously. Flickr does everything I need and then some more so I don't really see why I should switch. I use Photobucket for uploading images that don't really need to be displayed like test charts but I find the interface infuriatingly difficult to use so there is no way I would use that for the bulk of my needs.

When I reach my 200 photo limit, I'll probably get a Pro Flickr account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:43 pm 
Depends. For random uploads for forums and things I either use my install of Plogger, or just link from Flickr.

I think places like photobucket go a bit too overboard on the jpeg compression for my tastes.

Another one to look at is smugmug.com, although it is not free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:48 pm 
I started using photobucket about 5 years ago mainly for pictures I'd send to a reptile forum as that is what a large number of people used and it suited my purpose. I also put short video clips up there that I want to share with family.

For the past 10 years I have used dotphoto for my family albums. I like their flexibility of how the albums & subalbums are set up, amount of security, and that you can download your own photos at no charge----if I want quick access to a pic from several years ago I can just go to my album and download it instead of searching through my backup files. I've also lost backup files and been able to download my entire album. dotphoto has backups of their servers/storage (whatever they call it) on both US coasts---so decreases chance of losing your data.

They are also flexible on their accounts (you can have a free one). I had one plan but had switched to mainly digital scrapbooking so had 100s of print credits. They let me cash those in for credit toward photo products like die cut outs, etc. with no hastle what so ever.

I know there are people who use the site for sharing and selling their own photography but don't know too much about it. I have no clue if they have a community like flicker but if you need something here in the states for storage, printing, etc. you might want to check them out.

Carla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:09 am 
I've been using Gallery (open source - http://gallery.sf.net/ ) platform for the past 7 years, and has never disappointed. Then again, your mileage may vary since it's a platform that wants to be fed with lots of RAM and plenty of CPU juice - it doesn't perform well with dirt cheap web hosting providers - but if you have one somewhere, look in your control panel and see if Gallery is listed there under autoinstallers or "1-click apps".

my personal photo gallery (Gallery v2) - http://pixi.me/blog/wpg2/
and my Gallery v3 demo - http://pixi.me/gallery3/