Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, I've just finished my full review of the EOS 60D - I hope you find it useful.

See Canon EOS 60D review!

Note I have so many cameras I need to test right now that all video tours will be put on the back burner for a while. I do hope to do one on the EOS 60D and Nikon D7000, but they may be some time away.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:22 am 

Thanks Gordon,

I'm sure the review will generate a lot of questions when comparing to the 550D. You say that the 60D should be considered a "souped-up EOS XXXD / Rebel" but the 60D rates at 87% vs the 88% of the 550D?!

- Build quality is ranked as the same, 17/20, as the 550D. The construction materials may be the same but weather-sealing is claimed to be on a par with the 50D. In-hand the 60D feels far more substantial than the 550D.

- Image Quality is down from 19/20 to 18/20 compared to the 550D - Same rating as the 50D and 7D I know.

- Specifications are down from 18/20 for the 550D to 17/20 yet it has a host of features not found in the 550D (better AF system, 63 zone CFL, 5.3FPS, horizon level, tilting screen, etc.).

I know I'm razzing you and review weighting changes over time with progress but if the 60D is the "Super Rebel" it should rate higher, no? (I know the ratings are just a guide and adjusting for the above gives me 89/90%) :wink:

...a response to the review:
[QUOTE=dgrin]...I do take exception with their assesment of the 60D body construction. In their wrap-up of the camera they state, "... Canon's opted for the same plastic over metal construction as its entry-level models." This is, at best, a misconception.

The 60D has a cast and machined aluminum chassis with a molded, fiber-filled plastic shell to give the camera it's final form. Contrast this with the stainless steel, stamped, formed and welded chassis of the Canon entry-level bodies and the cast and machined magnesium bodies of the xxD cameras and the 60D is more similar to the xxD bodies in technology.

The weight of the 60D is 755 g (1.6 lb). Compare this to the 822 g (1.8 lb) of the 50D and the 530 g (1.17 lb) of the T2i/550D and it should now be clear that the 60D really is closer to the 50D in most aspects.

About the only thing that disappoints me about the 60D is the lack of user-available micro AF adjust. While it's likely that Canon can still micro AF adjust your lenses to the 60D, I don't understand why it's not available to the user. There is also a common complaint among early testers that the button and control feel is too "mushy" and without the distinct feedback of the previous xxD models. While neither of these things directly impacts image quality or performance, it may affect the user experience of the camera.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Howzit on Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:27 am 
Site Admin

They're in different categories so the scores cannot be compared. Please see the part which says 'compared to' above the scores.

And even if they were in the same category, the scores are just the briefest of snapshots. I just spent the past few weeks taking hundreds of photos and writing over 22,000 words about the 60D - please read the whole review to understanhd the whole picture.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:43 am 

I read the whole review and as per usual you have done a fantastic job and the overall gist is that the 60D is a great camera.

...but, calling it a "souped-up EOS xxxD / Rebel" will draw a comparison to the 550D. Also, if the 60D is to be compared to the D90 (89%), which is in the same category I'm guessing the 60D is the better camera, no? I also aknowledge that with time and progress the rankings will change - So even if the 60D rates better than the D90 it may not be worthy of 89% today. :)

Overall the 60D looks like a great camera and looking at the cameralabs verdict maybe a litte underestimated when compared to cameras in the same class:

.................50D (90%) ......D90 (89%) ....60D (87%)
Build Quality... 19/20........... 16/20.......... 17/20
Image Quality. 18/20........... 18/20.......... 18/20
Handling......... 18/20........... 19/20.......... 18/20
Specification... 18/20........... 19/20.......... 17/20
Value.............. 17/20........... 17/20.......... 17/20

I'm thinking the 60D is a better camera than two year old D90 and it will be interesting how the D7000 shapes up. I'm hoping this underestimation and the $100 cost difference between the 60D and D7000 drives the price of the 60D down.

I look forward to your review of the D7000. Thanks for the hard work - Much appreciated.

Last edited by Howzit on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:29 am 

Yes yes yahooooo, 60D full review:)

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:23 am 

fantastic a 60D review have been out! :D
thank Mr. Laing for hard work every time. (love to see what new in every new camera com out today)
cheer

Canon Speedlite 480EX II + Tripod+ B+W MRC (2x77+67), hoya HD UV (77) B+W MRC 77mm(CPL slim+10 ND).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:09 am 

Thanks Gordon. Seems to me like the 50d is in a more "traditional" sense, the better camera. Can't wait for the D7000 review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:23 am 

Great review, thanks for this Gordon. I too will be eagerly waiting the Nikon 7000 review too to compare.

Post subject: Really great review!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:04 pm 

Doesn't gloss over the facts, tells it as it is.

I hope I see more reviews from others with this level of neutrality. I'm tired of Canikon fan-people reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks everyone, and thanks also to Corzine who pointed out that you can make further adjustments with the in-camera RAW processing by going into the Picture Styles. I've updated the relevant sections in the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:20 pm 

thanks for the review Gordon.
I am seriously considering the 60D, but would like to mount the 15-85 mm lens. My concern is with the pop up flash working with the lens at the wide angle.
What am I likely to notice when using the flash at the widest angle?
I can imagine taking photos of a kids party and being at the widest angle to fit everyone in.
Will a flash unit overcome this?
Or do I just buy the 7D :)

Post subject: Strategy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:12 am 

Great, in-depth review, thanks.
Perhaps as an unconventional idea, a tidbit on the company's strategy might make interesting reading.

I detect that in the Nikon/Canon rivalry, Nikon are more seen as a true still photographers tool than Canon. The latest saga (D7000 and 60D) seems to extend this view. Stills = Nikon superiority. Videos = Canon superiority. Not true, certainly, but again, a perception which could be assumed by those entering the DSLR market, and one that Canon would not want.

Also, notice that in the 60D verdict, the D7000 was favored for its metering system compared to the iFCL in the Canon. Not sure about that.

Cheers
JK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:04 am 

Good to see this review Gordon, thanks for your hard work

However, there is one point I would question the review on. Two or three times you mentioned something along the lines that the "plastic" body somehow meant the 60D is inferior. Unfortunately, to me this sounds like you are jumping on the anti plastic bandwagon - makes the review sound as if it comes from a tabloid newspaper.

This has been debated on various forums and what comes out time and time again is that use of the word "plastic". As many people have pointed out it is not simply "plastic", which conjures up images of toys made in China, but is a high performance composite material "glass fiber filled polycarbonate". On its own, polycarbonate is one of the toughest materials available and is used to mold a huge number of safety helmets and visors in industry and sports. Then by adding fibers, the toughness and stiffness of the material increases substantially. As such I would bet my house that it will actually be no less tough than any "tin can" bodied camera in a high impact situation.

And as we all know, the chassis (the really important part) is cast aluminium with the casing being molded from polycarbonate.

Just a reminder that there are many modern weapons manufactured in part from "plastic" including US military grades. Several Airbus airliners and the new Boeing Dreamliner are also made from "plastics" as are Formula 1 cars. Of course they are not "plastic" in the traditional sense of the word, but then neither is the 60D.

For a little insight, here is an excerpt from wiki referring to the Glock pistol. Note that the "plastic" was chosen because it actually performs BETTER than the metal components it replaced.

"The Glock's frame, magazine body and several other components are made from a high-strength nylon-based polymer invented by Gaston Glock and called Polymer 2. This plastic was specially formulated to provide increased durability and is more resilient than carbon steel and most steel alloys. Polymer 2 is resistant to shock, caustic liquids and temperature extremes where traditional steel/alloy frames would warp and become brittle."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:50 am 

I don't doubt that the materials used in the 60d are of a very high standard but I think there is a reason why the higher end models of Olympus, Nikon, Canon and Sony are still constructed from magnesium alloy. That aside, I think the material choice of plastic speaks more of Canon's aspirations for the 60d within their own model lineup and how they expect customers to perceive the camera.

Last edited by grahamnp on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:56 am 

be willing to bet the material on the 60d vs the glock material not the same (1200 fps firearm) way off target.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next