Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: D90 18-105VR Lens
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:49 pm 

I am thinking of getting the D90 but have heard that the kit lens insn't great. I'm not sure exactly what to expect from it now. I'm no professional but I do enjoy doing more than candid photos. I have pushed my fz28 to it's limit so I need something better. Are my photos going to suffer with this lens or will it get me by until I can get a better lens? I'm not looking to get the best lens out there but want something that is going to produce good photos. Thanks for any help.

Canon SD750
My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/37592444@N03/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:02 pm 

The kitlens is quite awesome actually. It's very sharp, the build quality way better than expected for a kitlens, it has a nice zoom range, the stabilisation works well, and the focus is silent and pretty fast.

I've had one myself, it's a great lens for the D90. My only real problem with it was the plastic mount (which means it might break sooner). That said, mine didn't. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:19 pm 
I agree with Citruspers. 18-105 VR is a very competent lens to say the least. For a kit lens, it performs very well. Nice and sharp with a very useful focal range. I got mine in a kit with my D90 and was very happy with the quality I got from it.

I would recommend getting this lens with your first DSLR unless you know your shooting style very well and know which specs of this lens will limit you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:19 pm 

Another vote for the 18-105 here. It's a good match for the D90, and IQ is on a par with the more expensive 18-200. I'd say "go for it" while you learn, and then you can see if you need another lens to suppliment it if it limits you.

Build quality is relatively good (don't be put off by the plastic lens mount) and it served me well as a one stop travel lens...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:54 pm 
I love the 18-105mm. You cannot get anywhere this quality & this price tag in one zoom lens.

Last edited by Razvan on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:37 am 
While the 18-105 isnt the best build quality it is very sharp at f/4. In my case anyway.

IF you want to upgrade perhaps the 17-35 or the 17-55 dx version? Quite pricey but i have seen some darn good deals for around $800-900 online.

Good LUck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:52 pm 

I have a 15-30 F/4. I'm actually thinking of trading it for an 18-105.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:34 pm 
The plastic mount sounds like a bigger problem than it is, mine is incredibly worn looking but works perfectly fine.

Your pics won't suffer with the 18-105, it is arguably the best kit lens out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:29 pm 

I really am against kit lenses, but the optical quality of the 18-105 really isn't bad. I'd step up to the 16-85, mainly because of the improved optics, better build and the newer VR II. I live in the coldest major city in the world, so the plastic on a kit may break.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:23 pm 
The 16-85 is still made of plastic. You have to step up to the 17-55 or a pro full framer to get a metal lens.

[Edit] Im talking about the lens body btw not the mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:03 pm 

Yes, I was talking about the mount. I don't have the money to buy metal lenses all the time.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:05 pm 

No offence to Evan here, but I think it's pretty funny that all of the experienced photographers like the 18-105, and the one guy without a DSLR is firmly against kitlenses in general. :lol:

What defines a kitlens? A D3s is generally sold with a 24-70 F/2.8, which would mean it's a kitlens by your definition, and therefore, sucks. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:13 pm 

The kits that I think of are the 18-55 and the 18-105. They're good lenses for a kit, but I'm still against them. I'm just disappointed that Nikon is making plastic mounts and sacrificing all the good stuff, to bring costs down. My father's old AI-S primes are all metal, made in Japan and great optical quality. They don't make glass like that anymore!

I guess that a kit lens can really be anything that's sold in a kit with a camera, but when you think of a "Kit lens", you think of a $150 plastic lens.

Also, although I don't shoot with a DSLR, I often do a lot of film.

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:16 pm 

You make a good argument, but miss the fact that DSLRs have GREATLY dropped in price. I highly doubt you could get a stabilised zoom lens for 100 dollars back in the AI-S days. ;)

Oh, and Nikon has actually produced quite sturdy kitlenses. The 18-70 is pretty legendary in that aspect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:20 pm 

Yes, zoom lenses have GREATLY improved! I actually don't remember the ol' AI-S days, all the lenses that I use are my father's old lenses, which I think are better than the kits that I've used at the local camera shop. But, I still know that there are better options than the 18-55. It especially bothers my that to focus it, you actually rotate the lens barrel.

- Ansel Adams